Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My 9/11 confession...

Posted by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 10:53 PM
  • 183 Replies
5 moms liked this
Really, I didn't care that much. I know it's horrible, but hear me out. I was fifteen, and this is what happened in my life that school year. In June, a classmate and friend of mine was killed in an ATV accident. It was one of those stupid things that happens in a small town where no one cares about safety precautions like not piling a bunch of people on one, or wearing helmets, or not driving it on a road. That summer, a little boy was killed in a car accident. He was three, and he was internally decapitated. I didn't even know car seats existed past the bucket seat, and I'm betting I was not a minority. On September 10th, another friend of ours was killed in a car accident before school. We passed right by it, late for school that day and kind of freaking out because it was testing day. September 11th, we didn't have a clue. School was already letting out early for the wake, and no one would tell us anything that was happening. I came home that night after the wake and saw it on the news, and as we sat there and watched, my dad told us we were moving to Florida in October. A couple of weeks later, my friend's mom died of an aneurism. January 1st 2002, one of my friends from that town was killed in a car accident. Valentines' Day, two more of my classmates from there were killed in a drunk driving incident. Don't get me wrong. I get it now. I sat for hours and watched the replays a couple of years ago, horrified at what I had ignored. But I was fifteen and there was already so much going on. I didn't care about the people thousands of miles away.

by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 10:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Sep. 10, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Wow, I'm sorry. 

vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Sep. 10, 2013 at 10:55 PM
1 mom liked this

On a different note, it's my birthday. That was my 21st. 

MommaGreenhalge
by Silver Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 10:56 PM

There were paragraph breaks in this, I swear to you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 10, 2013 at 10:58 PM

Seems like there are a lot of car accidents in your area.

gcstar42
by Gold Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 11:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow I am sorry you had a rough year at that time. I think it is understandable with all that was going on closer to home that you were not as concerned. Sometimes when you are dealing with grief and hurt of your own it can be hard to care about others. Especially when you are younger.

strontium
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 11:04 PM

I was in 4th grade. My 2nd cousins apartment was destroyed... he lost dogs/ cats/ birds and rabbits from the soot that flew in his blown out windows. He was walking his dog and witnessed the 1st plane fly over head into the 1st building. He had to move to rhode island and live with my grandma for years while he got stable and back on his feet.

Its not really about "people thousands of miles away" Its the fact that our country isnt all safe and sound like we think and there are people that want us DEAD. 

shivasgirl
by Platinum Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 11:05 PM
1 mom liked this

it was my godson's 21st birthday too, Happy Birthday to you tomorrow :)

Quoting vegaswife2011:

On a different note, it's my birthday. That was my 21st. 

MommaGreenhalge
by Silver Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 11:10 PM
Quoting strontium:

I was in 4th grade. My 2nd cousins apartment was destroyed... he lost dogs/ cats/ birds and rabbits from the soot that flew in his blown out windows. He was walking his dog and witnessed the 1st plane fly over head into the 1st building. He had to move to rhode island and live with my grandma for years while he got stable and back on his feet.

Its not really about "people thousands of miles away" Its the fact that our country isnt all safe and sound like we think and there are people that want us DEAD. 

I know that now. It just kind of didn't hit me that way until a few years later.

Akunkle1
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 11:11 PM
1 mom liked this

My BFF's cousin was in one of the towers.

rachellaree20
by Rachel on Sep. 10, 2013 at 11:14 PM

I was in 4th grade and all I remember was being terrified that the terrorists were going to destroy my house.  Yes, my spicific house...4th grader logic...and I was terrified to get on a plane years after.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN