Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Still think not vaccinating is a good idea?

Posted by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 5:28 PM
  • 208 Replies
1 mom liked this

Religious Communities Give Measles A Chance To Spread

BY TARA CULP-RESSLER ON SEPTEMBER 11, 2013 AT 9:16 AM

vaccine

CREDIT: Shutterstock

At the end of last month, epidemiologists in Texas traced the source of a measles outbreak to a right-wing megachurch whose pastor has preached against vaccines. Even though about 98 percent of Texas residents are vaccinated against the highly contagious disease, the congregants who attended that evangelical church represented a pocket of unprotected people, and measles was able to spread rapidly.

Fortunately, that outbreak was able to be pretty well-contained — after the disease sickened about 21 people, Texas issued a public health alert and quickly found the source of the issue. The megachurch’s pastor was very cooperative and even agreed to host several free clinics to encourage the congregation to get their shots.

But the problem is that it’s not an isolated incident. Although the Texas church is the only current example in the United States, an incredibly similar situationis also unfolding in Europe.

The Netherlands has been struggling with a measles outbreak since May. So far, more than 1,200 people have been sickened, and 82 of them have ended up in the hospital. It’s the first time in the past 13 years that the country has experienced a rash of measles cases. And as the Irish Times reports, the “outbreak is concentrated in the country’s extensive Bible Belt, where the majority of fundamentalist Protestants do not believe in having their children vaccinated.”

According to a report issued last week by the Netherlands’ Center for Infectious Disease Control, the country has a 95 percent vaccination rate among the general population. But health officials expect the measles outbreak to keep getting worse. Why? Because it’s spreading rapidly among unvaccinated orthodox Protestant children. Of all of the Dutch people who have contracted measles this summer, over 96 percent hadn’t received their shots to protect them against it.

Health officials’ map of the number of reported measles cases shows how the infection originated in Netherland’s “Bible Belt” and spread out from there:

measles map
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 5:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 5:28 PM
4 moms liked this
Yep, still do :-)
yayay15
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 5:30 PM
2 moms liked this
Yes I do. Articles like this, will not be changing my mind.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Sep. 11, 2013 at 5:30 PM
15 moms liked this

I vaccinate. Always and always will. I DGAF what anyone else thinks 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 11, 2013 at 5:31 PM
12 moms liked this

no matter what you do, they will never accept the fact what they are doing is unsafe!  We can post all the articles we want.  They think they can sit here and bash into our heads why its bad to keep our kids protected.  But they dont even look into things like this! its pathetic! 

littlelamb303
by Ruby Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 5:32 PM

I vaccinate and would never allow someone to convince me not to. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 11, 2013 at 5:32 PM
8 moms liked this

The minds of non-vaxers can't be swayed by scientific studies.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 11, 2013 at 5:33 PM
2 moms liked this

Yes I do!  Because I refuse to be the one to sign off for my child to die!  Which is exactly what would happen if she got the vaccines because she's HIGHLY allergic to the ingredients!

jessnic1987
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 5:34 PM
1 mom liked this

THIS!!

Quoting Sassy762:

I vaccinate. Always and always will. I DGAF what anyone else thinks 

kristen0812
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 5:34 PM
1 mom liked this
I vaccinate. Always have, always will. I don't care what others do with their kids, it's their decision.
maddiesmommy5
by Gold Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 5:35 PM
8 moms liked this

Still not gonna vax, This article does not say how many if any have died from measle. IT is a normal childhood illness.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN