Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Black or White?!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I'm posting anon, because yes, I'm a coward and don't want crazed stalkers.

You cannot be racist to a 'white' or 'black' person. White or black is NOT a race.

African American is a race.

Irish is a race.

Jamaican is a race.

French is a race.

The list goes on. White or black are not races, therefore you cannot be racist towards them. Sure you can be discriminatory, but it is NOT racism.

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 11, 2013 at 6:08 PM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 11, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Someone would have to be dual 'colourist' (new term lol) to insult me. I'm too many god damn ethnicities/races lol.

Quoting JCSmommy2:

Those are considered ethnicities. African American is a race, hispanic is a race, Caucasian is a race. White and black are colors, but obviously people know what is implied when someone uses those terms to describe a person or a thing.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Sep. 11, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Quoting meg0620:

Lol okay just making sure! It's not really racist FYI. They called light skinned Hispanics gueras and gueros too. I went to an all Mexican high school and even though I'm Mexican I got called that. Even people that speak fluent Spanish (I only know conversational Spanish) get called that if they're light. It's like a nickname.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting meg0620:

I think she means "guera" which is Spanish slang for white girl

Quoting Anonymous:

And what does 'whetta' mean?

Quoting Anonymous:

Well I am Irish, I live in AZ and am frequently called whetta, so it may be discriminatory but it sounds awful racist to me!

Yes, that is what I mean, but most people don't know how to pronounce it in spanish so I break it down. :)

I have lived in New Mexico and Arizona for most of my life, I get that normally its not racist, but it can be. Believe me the people that are talking mad shit about me are not using it in a loving way, I can speak spanish, I just don't look like I can. I am the boss at work, they talk shit about all managers, I just happen to be one of the few who can understand. :)

handy0318
by Ruby Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 6:29 PM

One of my former supervisors was just blown away that he had to put "African American" down on a standardized form. This was back in the mid-90's.  They told him to put down African American and his response was that he was German.  His family had lived in the same German town since the 500's.  Not the 1500's mind you, but the 500's. He didn't come to America until he was in college... 

But, because his skin was black, he was considred "African American".

It is stupid.

lol... I remember once someone asking me where my son was from.  She had blathered on a bit about how wonderful the African culture was and how wonderful of a person I was for adopting an African boy...then she asked where he was from and I looked her straight in the eye and said, "Portland."

Quoting Anonymous:

African American is a stupid term anyways.   What's wrong with just being American?   Most "African Americans" have never even been to Africa.   We've all got ties to another country why aren't we calling everybody by that then?  

Asian American  -- Swedish American -- Australian American -- Canadian American --- Etc...     

Michael Jackson said it best Don't matter if you're black or white

JCSmommy2
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 6:30 PM
Quoting Anonymous:

Someone would have to be dual 'colourist' (new term lol) to insult me. I'm too many god damn ethnicities/races lol.

Quoting JCSmommy2:Those are considered ethnicities. African American is a race, hispanic is a race, Caucasian is a race. White and black are colors, but obviously people know what is implied when someone uses those terms to describe a person or a thing.

So is my son. He's tri racial and has 4 different ethnicities. Don't know what people will consider him when he gets older, now he looks white but just with a tan.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 11, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Quoting JCSmommy2:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting JCSmommy2:Those are considered ethnicities. African American is a race, hispanic is a race, Caucasian is a race. White and black are colors, but obviously people know what is implied when someone uses those terms to describe a person or a thing.

So is my son. He's tri racial and has 4 different ethnicities. Don't know what people will consider him when he gets older, now he looks white but just with a tan.

I get my dads colouring, so I'm a total white girl until I got in the sun, then I'm either a tomato girl or a brown girl.

My mum looks really dark and my dad is definitely a white boy.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Sep. 11, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Irish, Jamaican and French refer to nationalities, not races.  The rest of your post is similarly wrong.

brandydesiree
by Platinum Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 6:35 PM
Um... No. Races are as follows, African, Caucasian , Asian, and Indian.

Everyone falls under one of those categories.

Jamaican is a heritage/ethnicity, Irish heritage/ethnicity, English is a heritage/ethnicity , Mexican Heritage/ethnicity, Chinese Heritage/ethnicity....
Newfie_Mom
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 6:35 PM
This is a pet peeve for me

Quoting Anonymous:

OMG thank you!

Quoting Newfie_Mom:

Those are not races they are cultures. Not the same thing.

brandydesiree
by Platinum Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 6:40 PM
Hispanic isn't actually a race. It falls under Caucasian or Black,

That's why on applications it says Caucasian of Hispanic decent or Black of Hispanic Decent.

I think (not positive) that they are four main races, African/Black, Caucasian, Indian and Asian. All ethnicities fall under one of these categories. Again, I am not positive.

Quoting JCSmommy2:

Those are considered ethnicities. African American is a race, hispanic is a race, Caucasian is a race. White and black are colors, but obviously people know what is implied when someone uses those terms to describe a person or a thing.

Newfie_Mom
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 6:48 PM
Number of Races in the World
• Blog > Geography > World > Number of Races in the World |

How many races are there in the world?

4 major races.

The world population can be divided into 4 major races, namely white/Caucasian, Mongoloid/Asian, Negroid/Black, and Australoid. This is based on a racial classification made by Carleton S. Coon in 1962 (in common usage the ‘˜Capoid’™ and ‘˜Congoid’™ groups classified by Coon is merged under ‘˜Negroid’™). There is no universally accepted classification for ‘œrace’, however, and its use has been under fire over the last few decades. The United Nations, in a 1950 statement, opted to “drop the term ‘race’ altogether and speak of “ethnic groups”. In this case, there are more than 5,000 ethnic groups in the world, according to a 1998 study published in the Scientific American.

This is quoted from: http://www.numberof.net/number-of-races-in-the-world/

There are only four races in the world. The rest is ethnicity and culture.

Quoting Anonymous:

Well I'm sure, if you wish, you can trace some of them back further, to Romans, Greeks etc.

Quoting Newfie_Mom:

Those are not races they are cultures. Not the same thing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)