Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I feel like a horrible mother

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 5 Replies
I've felt horrible all day. This evening my lungs were so bad that I thought I'd have to go to the hospital, it feels like you're drowning.

Well my kid has been a terror all day, very self-involved and rude and ME ME ME which I guess is "normal" for 5 but not normal for her. I guess she's bored bc we're usually out during the day, and of course she knows I'm sick which affects her emotionally and therefore behaviorally.

Well she's whining at me to show her how to play some game (which I've been doing with various games all day, half-cheerfully) and I told her she had to give me a minute bc of my lungs. She continued to whine and whine and made some snarky comment that equated to her life not being fair, and I just snapped and said if she had a problem with her life then she could march her ass right out of here. She asked if I wanted her to leave my room and I said no, the house. She asked what I meant and I said I'll pack you some clothes and you can walk along the road till someone picks you up who will take you in.

Well she got really quiet for a minute, and I worked on trying to take whole breaths, and then I realized she was crying. I didn't expect her to take me so seriously, but I do admit that I was going for shock value. I was just so frustrated...I've since told her I was just angry and didn't mean it even a little bit, that I would never mean it and have or would never think about meaning it. We're having an enjoyable evening now, but I feel like shit. How can I teach her to choose her words carefully to avoid leaving scars, let alone hurting people, when I abused them myself and used them to purposely hurt my own kid? I have a feeling she will always remember this incident.
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:43 PM

well, think of it as a teaching moment for both of you....i hope you both apologized to each other

alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Yeah. I think you overreacted. 

Now that you are all in better moods it is the right time to teach her about empathy and understanding that sometimes other peoples needs come first, especially when they are sick. 

2Sparrows4ever
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:45 PM
This

Quoting Anonymous:

well, think of it as a teaching moment for both of you....i hope you both apologized to each other

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:46 PM
Giiiiirl it will be okay!! My 5 year old says shit like that too. I am just like HIT THE BRICKS! And pack a jacket! Maybe the hobos across town will share a box with you tonight.
twicethemomjess
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:47 PM
Ouch
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)