Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

no heartbeat ...but waiting for one??

Posted by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 4:15 AM
  • 38 Replies
My cousin is pregnant and due in february she should be16 weeks. she went to the er due to bleeding. and i need some help understanding this. first she said that she was going to the er because she was bleeding. 4 minutes later (literally) she said the drs said she didnt miscarry but they still needed to do an ultrasound but she would need bed rest. i asked how they knew she didnt miscarry without the ultrasound and she replied "they spreded me open and the dr looked inside and he could see the moving sac and they used a heart beat moniter." ok... then she had to do see what blood type she was for her bloodwork or whatever. a while after she said that there was no heart beat found and the baby was only measuring 11 weeks when she should be measuring 16 weeks. but there is a chance the baby can get a heartbeat but untill further notice she needs bed rest. ..............my question is how can the baby just out of nowhere get a heartbeat if 1)there is none right now and 2) the baby already stopped developing so isnt that a miscarriage? SOMEONE PLEASE CLARIFY THIS FOR ME IM SO CONFUFSED! *******edit sorry i forgot to say they did the ultrasound after she got that bloodwork and thats when she said there was no heartbeat.
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 4:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lesalmi
by Gold Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 4:22 AM

It sounds like she is grasping at straws to me...

She was either never actually in fact pregnant, or completely misunderstood what they were telling her. From the info given I would think that she is pretty much sitting there waiting to officially miscarry

bandzbandzbandz
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 4:22 AM

I would think she lost the baby... hopefully she isn't having a "moment." You know if there isn't some explanation and she's waiting for a heartbeat to come back because she is grieving or something.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 12, 2013 at 4:26 AM
denial. the fetus is no longer alive.
csxt99
by Jennifer on Sep. 12, 2013 at 4:29 AM

It sounds like an incomplete miscarriage to me.

anonymous12308
by Platinum Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 4:32 AM
6 moms liked this
When I started bleeding at 13 weeks I went to the er the doc could not find a heartbeat and told me I lost the baby, she then put that vaginal pill in to speed up the 'delivery'. At 15 weeks I still felt pregnant and went back, she did an ultra sound and saw my baby there with a heart beat but with very little fluid. She was kicking and very much a live. At 22 weeks my water broke again and I was in the hospital for 2 weeks before having a c section. She's 2 now and very healthy and happy.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 12, 2013 at 4:36 AM
whoa!

Quoting anonymous12308:

When I started bleeding at 13 weeks I went to the er the doc could not find a heartbeat and told me I lost the baby, she then put that vaginal pill in to speed up the 'delivery'. At 15 weeks I still felt pregnant and went back, she did an ultra sound and saw my baby there with a heart beat but with very little fluid. She was kicking and very much a live. At 22 weeks my water broke again and I was in the hospital for 2 weeks before having a c section. She's 2 now and very healthy and happy.

Punchyobuns
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 4:38 AM

At 11 weeks, a heartbeat would be detectable on an ultrasound. If there isn't one, there won't be one. Sorry :(

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 12, 2013 at 4:40 AM
Wow that's an incredible story. I'm glad your baby girl is happy and healthy.

Quoting anonymous12308:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 12, 2013 at 4:40 AM
4 moms liked this
She says they spread her open and saw the baby moving... does nobody pay attention in sex ed?

Think about the cervix ladies.

anonymous12308
by Platinum Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 4:43 AM
Not always the case granted my case is rare but my daughter is living proof of an er not finding a heartbeat thinking she was dead and trying to induce labor yet she was still alive.

Quoting Punchyobuns:

At 11 weeks, a heartbeat would be detectable on an ultrasound. If there isn't one, there won't be one. Sorry :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)