Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I am so sick of the Special Needs crap!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 328 Replies
58 moms liked this
Why do grown adults feel the need to act as if these kids don't deserve an education, friends, or a future. Why are they all categorized the same?
Why is it assumed that because a child has a learning disability they should be secluded in school. Why is it assumed they can't have a successful future with a good career?

And why are they not as good as a "normal" kid?

They are kids, someone's baby. They did not ask for this and neither did their parents.
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 12, 2013 at 6:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 12, 2013 at 6:04 AM
2 moms liked this
Thank you very much!!
Mumof2ferals
by Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 6:05 AM
1 mom liked this

So true! I hate the way my ds is treated just because he has ASD, ADHD & RRP. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 12, 2013 at 6:05 AM
23 moms liked this
And this dead horse did not ask to be beaten...but here we are.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 12, 2013 at 6:09 AM
6 moms liked this

THANK YOU! From the bottom of my heart, my oldest son(7) was diagnosed with Autism.  I think people forget were all someone's child. bow down

Grumpy.Cat
by Gold Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 6:10 AM
4 moms liked this

Wahhhhhhhhhhhh wahhhhhhhhhhhhh.

GleekingOut
by Platinum Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 6:10 AM
5 moms liked this

Exactly. How do we expect our children to cope in a adult world, hold down a job, move out, be independant - if our education system fails to assist them to cope in social situations and learn how to cope to the best of their ability? I am anti homeschool because I believe EVERYONE needs to learn to get along with everyone and learn how to cope with people they hate.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Sep. 12, 2013 at 6:19 AM
Amen.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Sep. 12, 2013 at 6:28 AM
5 moms liked this
Not trying to pick a fight, but my son has an giep and I'm glad that they have him semi secluded I feel that he gets a better education this way. When I was in high school they sent me to some special classes because of my add, and for those periods being in a smaller class did help me focus even though I was in a class with people who were more had more needs than I did. I thought that was why people were separate because of everyone deserves to learn on a pace that is more comfortable to them.
Okie-chick
by Platinum Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 6:29 AM
10 moms liked this
Most special needs kids work better in a smaller class environment. I personally think they learn a whole lot better with a small class size. I've worked with autistic 3s & 4s,dd pre-k and dd K. My son is ADHD and when he was in a class size of 20+ with no aid,he was getting frustrated. We moved him into a smaller K class and he did a whole lot better. The kids I worked with went to lunch,recess,PE,and fun auditorium activities with the rest of the kids. With every class I worked with,I loved those kids like they were my own. When they achieved a goal I would get excited with them and would make a huge deal about it to make them feel awesome
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Sep. 12, 2013 at 6:33 AM
3 moms liked this
Define successful. Some people may not see a person on disability as productive ..nor working at store as a bagger. The hard fact is that kids who are severely mentally challenged will not be the same ever as those who are not. However that does not mean they will not celebrate personal successes or hold a job. Life will always be hard for them.hopefully caring people surround them.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)