Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Skinny girls, how do you reply to this? EDIT, and wish CM wouldn't give this post a title it wasn't really about!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 416 Replies
8 moms liked this

*thanks for changing the title back to the original CM! Never had a featured post before.  Hate to have it be misleading.

What do you say when someone looks at you and says *You're so skinny*?  First of all,it's rude.  I would never ever say to someone *You're so fat* or anything like that!  And yeah, as someone here will surely point out I don't have to say anything.  But I'd like to know how others react. I know I'm skinny and I'm  happy with how I look, that's not the point.

I've always been petite, my entire life.  So I should have a good response by now but every time someone makes comments like these I just don't know what to say!  I usually just smile and ignore, but the other day the person who said it just kept staring at me as if she was waiting for a response.  We were in a room with a group of 4 other people and all eyes turned to me and I just didn't have a good comment and wish I had.

No need for negativity here ladies.  I'm just honestly curious how other skinny girls handle these type of comments.  Thanks.

EDIT: it's not about whether being called skinny is a compliment! IMO, it's not unless one has lost a noticeable amount if weight.  It's about how to respond when put in a situation where the person is waiting for a reply and 10 people in the room are also looking at you.  Waiting.  Watching,  What will she say?  

I don't appreciate words being put in my mouth. Or in my text as the case may be.  So this won't be here much longer but thanks to all who gave an honest  answer!

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 12, 2013 at 7:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hanab818
by Ruby Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 7:36 AM
1 mom liked this
When I was smaller I say ooh I didnt know that or good to know. And walk away.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 12, 2013 at 7:37 AM
4 moms liked this
Thanks! I work hard at being thin and healthy.
owl0210
by Emerald Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 7:39 AM
2 moms liked this
I would take it as a compliment.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kristen0812
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 7:39 AM
23 moms liked this
I used to just take it when my best friend did it until I finally had enough and said "and I think you're too fat". She's never said another word. Being told your too skinny is the same as telling someone they're too fat. I can't stand it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 12, 2013 at 7:40 AM

Quoting Hanab818:

Ooh yeah I'd definitely say that to a stranger (because I'm sarcastic like that) , but what about when you can't walk away?  I was stuck for over an hour in the same room With this person the other day.  It just made me uncomfortable for that reason, I couldn't walk away.  I tried changing the subject but this person kept at it....asking if I'd always been skinny, was everyone in my family skinny, etc.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 12, 2013 at 7:41 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting kristen0812:

I used to just take it when my best friend did it until I finally had enough and said "and I think you're too fat". She's never said another word. Being told your too skinny is the same as telling someone they're too fat. I can't stand it.

Ahhhh yes!  Not many people agree with me but I think it's so rude!  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 12, 2013 at 7:42 AM

I've told people to just keep their mouths shut, seems no matter what the subject may be it's always a two way street.  I've been petite my whole life too, minus after I had my little one and then I lost all the weight overtime.. It's not like I try to be super tiny, I just happen to have a small frame. 

Punchyobuns
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 7:42 AM
6 moms liked this

It's never okay to remark on someone's weight, but I think most of the time when people say that it's meant as a compliment. If they're not trying to tell you how little and cute you are and they're trying to criticize your weight, I say go full bitch lol.

Newmom8912
by Platinum Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 7:44 AM
1 mom liked this
I just say I know
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hanab818
by Ruby Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 7:45 AM
1 mom liked this
I would start give ridiculously sarcastic over the top crazy answers till they got my point. I would have some fun with it. Or tell them they were beig a rude asshat and leave me alone. Depending on the day.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Hanab818:

Ooh yeah I'd definitely say that to a stranger (because I'm sarcastic like that) , but what about when you can't walk away?  I was stuck for over an hour in the same room With this person the other day.  It just made me uncomfortable for that reason, I couldn't walk away.  I tried changing the subject but this person kept at it....asking if I'd always been skinny, was everyone in my family skinny, etc.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN