Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is the first Miss America contestant to proudly show off her tattoos breaking ground?

Posted by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:26 AM
  • 152 Replies
1 mom liked this

Miss America Hopeful's Huge Tattoo Is Just One Way She's Not Another Pretty Blond

by Lisa Fogarty

Miss Kansas Theresa Vail is tall, blonde, tan, and somehow both magically athletic and busty. In other words, she's a lot like every other Miss America contestant who isn't brunette, tall, tan, and busty -- except for one feature that is rewarding her headlines: she has a huge tattoo of the Serenity Prayer that spans from her right ribs to hip. 

While some other contestants sport small, inconspicuous tats on their feet or on other less noticeable body parts, 22-year-old Vail is making a point of flaunting hers in order to help break down barriers

Yes, barriers.

Although she couldn't possibly mean the barriers that stand between girls getting tattoos and not getting them, right? Because even my 93-year-old grandmother no longer flinches at the sight of ink on a woman's body. 

Vail's platform in the competition is actually called "Empowering Women; Overcoming Stereotypes and Breaking Barriers," which is awesome, if you only focused on her accomplishments -- of which there are many. For one thing, the senior at Kansas State University had the courage to join the Kansas National Guard at 17, double majored in Chinese and chemistry at school, and wants to become a prosthetic dentist for the Army

She honestly sounds amazing. 

Even the story behind her tattoo is great. While some of us are living with pictures of Betty Boop forever etched on our ankles, Vail chose her Serenity Prayer tat because it helped her get through her teenage years, when she said she was bullied

Some may argue that it's about time the Miss America pageant welcomed a woman who is unconventionally beautiful. I would agree. But in this day and age, does featuring a conventionally beautiful blonde, who just happens to sport a tattoo on her perfect body, qualify as groundbreaking? Is this helping women overcome stereotypes?

At the end of the day, Vail seems like another intelligent, interesting young woman with a tattoo who just happens to be vying for a crown in the most conventional pageant in America.

Do you think Vail is breaking ground as the first Miss America contestant to proudly show off her tattoos? 

by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom2many747
by Gold Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:32 AM
41 moms liked this
I'm not impressed by the tattoo aspect. You want unconventional then allow a disabled or obese person to compete.
vegaswife2011
by Emerald Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:33 AM

I don't think it's groundbreaking. I'm not up on pageants either though.  

Pink.Sunshine.
Taking a well needed break.
Yesterday at 1:32 AM
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Exactly

Quoting mom2many747:

I'm not impressed by the tattoo aspect. You want unconventional then allow a disabled or obese person to compete.

momto2boys973
by Ruby Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:34 AM
Quoting mom2many747:

This.
RMB2011
by Platinum Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:34 AM
2 moms liked this

I think its great! Good for her to go up there and be herself instead of just another cookie from the cookie cutter.

Anniversary
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:36 AM
1 mom liked this
One of the contestants last year I think, had autism

Quoting mom2many747:

mom2many747
by Gold Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:38 AM
9 moms liked this
She is just another cookie from the cookie cutter. The only difference is she has more sugar then the rest.

A tattoo doesn't make her different.

Quoting RMB2011:

I think its great! Good for her to go up there and be herself instead of just another cookie from the cookie cutter.

RMB2011
by Platinum Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:41 AM
4 moms liked this

No the tattoo doesn't make her different but her not covering up her tattoo does. Contestants always have and now she's taking a step in the direction of not being ashamed of your choices.

Quoting mom2many747:

She is just another cookie from the cookie cutter. The only difference is she has more sugar then the rest.

Quoting RMB2011:

Anniversary
RMB2011
by Platinum Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:41 AM
1 mom liked this

Wasn't there someone without an arm last year? And a woman with autism?

ETA:

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20664029,00.html

http://www.today.com/style/miss-america-contestant-born-without-forearm-im-just-you-8C11116194 

Quoting mom2many747:

Anniversary
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:51 AM
1 mom liked this
In this particular industry she IS different. And it's also "ground breaking". When she's not on stage, she's just another pretty girl with a tattoo. But on that stage, it's unheard of to see a woman like that.

Quoting mom2many747:

Quoting RMB2011:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured