Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Child support limits

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 202 Replies
2 moms liked this

I think child support should be a percentage (ex.  not to exceed 30%) of the noncustodial parents income.  Total.  For all dependants (kids & spouse) supported.  If noncustodial dad goes and starts a family with someone else, then the amount is adjusted for everyone to equal amounts.  So, if he makes $2400 per month, and is paying child support to his two kids, he pays $360 per month per child.  Say they have the same mother, she is receiving $720.  He has a baby with someone else.  He will still pay $720 in child support, total.  Each child will then receive $240 per month.  The mom with the two kids will get $480 in child support.  If he marries the second child's mom, a formula will be used to calculate what "support" he owes her based upon the ratio of her income to his.  That is then calculated into the support division.

ETA for further discussion:  

1.  There should be a formula where the parents incomes are counted and each pays according to a set ratio...though no having the CP having to pay the NCP child support because the CP is a bazzilionaire and the NCP can only find a minimum wage job.

2.  Unless the CP expressly reserves the right in the first papers, any raises in income by the NCP cannot be considered for child support purposes.

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
unspecified42
by Gold Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:30 AM
Cool story, bro.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
owl0210
by Emerald Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:32 AM
21 moms liked this
Your man pays child support huh?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crazymom21
by Gold Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:34 AM
18 moms liked this
No that's stupid to adjust for other children. Dads and moms need to be smarter and not create more children if they can't take care of the ones they already have.

I don't pay child support or receive it.
Saphira1207
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:34 AM

That's how it's done in NYS.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:35 AM
6 moms liked this
There IS a limit. No more than 50% of the NCP can be taken for child support. I don't think there should be a limit. My income doesn't go up if I have more kids. I don't have a limit on what I spend per child to raise and support.

If a NCP doesn't want to spend their precious money then they shouldn't keep producing kids they don't care about.
vegaswife2011
by Emerald Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Lmao! That's what you think huh? Glad it's not up to you! 

vegaswife2011
by Emerald Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Lmao! First think I thought myself :)

Quoting owl0210:

elizabooks
by Silver Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:36 AM
Sounds reasonable as the income would be adjusted like that if the 3 kids were in the same family. But when seperated from each parentt they have to be raised in the sameifestyle as if they wrre together. Reguardless if either parent has more kids.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:36 AM
2 moms liked this

No.  All his kids are my kids.  All my kids are his kids.  And he does not work outside the home.  (if we were to split, I'd likely be paying him...)

A friend wanted to go after her baby's father for child support.  Found out because he's paying for a couple kids, already, (they are getting several hundred per month) she would get an amount that makes it not worth it to file.

Maybe if this were the case, women would think twice about having children they cannot support on their own. 

Quoting owl0210:

momof2boy2girl
by Valerie on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:37 AM
2 moms liked this

So... who do you love that pays child support?

pregnant

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured