Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

School fundraisers.....who else hates them?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 77 Replies

We are selling pies.  They have to be refridgerated upon pick up if we don't deliver them right away.  Not only that but each kid who sells 5 items gets to go to a pizza party.  So now the kid gets upset if they don't sell the 5 items. 

What happened to easy chocolate sales?

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Suzy_Sunshine
by Gold Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:30 AM

I love school fundraisers. They are your opportunity to support your child and provide great educational opportunities.

I do not sell anything, I write a check. You PTO will always take a check. If they are not accustomed to receiving checks in lieu of sales just make a point of asking them to be sure to credit your child as they would a student who turned in an order form. 

I think that $100 is a good starting point for most families who use public schools. If you can, give more. If that is a stretch then give the cost of five pies. If you are in a financial crisis give 50% of the price of five pies, that should be equivalent to their profit at least. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:34 AM

My daughter goes to a DoD school.  It is not open to the public but we also don't pay.  I love the school.  I just don't like the fundraisers.  I am going through a divorce and my stbx drained my account, drained my savings, and ran up two credit cards in my name.  I don't have the extra cash for any of that right now.

Quoting Suzy_Sunshine:

I love school fundraisers. They are your opportunity to support your child and provide great educational opportunities.

I do not sell anything, I write a check. You PTO will always take a check. If they are not accustomed to receiving checks in lieu of sales just make a point of asking them to be sure to credit your child as they would a student who turned in an order form. 

I think that $100 is a good starting point for most families who use public schools. If you can, give more. If that is a stretch then give the cost of five pies. If you are in a financial crisis give 50% of the price of five pies, that should be equivalent to their profit at least. 

NeverTooMany
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:36 AM

LOL, I LOVE fundraisers. I love school, scouts, dance, and football ones. I guess it is just my thing.

NeverTooMany
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:38 AM

We are DOD schools also and it is still comparable to a public school. They get finding and everything the same. I agree with her to pay for the total of 5 pies if you do not like fund raising. I love it though.

Quoting Anonymous:

My daughter goes to a DoD school.  It is not open to the public but we also don't pay.  I love the school.  I just don't like the fundraisers.  I am going through a divorce and my stbx drained my account, drained my savings, and ran up two credit cards in my name.  I don't have the extra cash for any of that right now.

Quoting Suzy_Sunshine:

Happy Fall!!!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:38 AM
I can't stand them. We already pay taxes towards public schools and then they want us to raise more money?
ff-princess
by Ruby Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:38 AM

one school my son went to did frozen pizzas.  they had to be picked up between 5 - 7 p.m.  where did they expect me to store those until I was able to deliver them?  no thanks.

Teeshann
by Platinum Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:39 AM
1 mom liked this
i don't mind them i just don't buy anything from them. overpriced crap that we don't need. i'd rather donate straight to the school.
Pink.Sunshine.
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:40 AM

I hate selling stuff period. I'm not doing it.

mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Personally, I loathe them because my kids to to private school for which I already spend a fortune (gladly, I might add). They just started a fundraiser 2 days ago- cookie dough, magazines, jewelry... I am getting a magazine for each of my daughter's, will get a box of cookie dough from each of them and call it good...The magazines will be $50 total and the cookie dough is $16/box...I *might* get each of them a pair of earrings for Christmas, but I'm not sure yet. We'll see... 

The ONLY fundraiser I willingly do and truly LOVE is the one our Karate Dojo does every year. It is a kick-a-thon. One of my girls has to do 1000 kicks and my other has to do 500 kicks. You can either give a flat donation, or donate by the kick and ALL proceeds go to the Thanksgiving Basket Brigade, which is a full Thanksgiving meal for a needy family in our community. They get the names of needy families from the county office. They give us another option of just donating a basket for $40. The weekend before Thanksgiving, Karate families meet at the Dojo and assemble the baskets and then deliver them to the families. They have consistently fed 100+ families every year with this fundraiser. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

momof2boy2girl
by Valerie on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:41 AM
Between my four, they go to three different schools, it will be four different schools next year. I really wish they would stagger it. I also wish they wouldn't do it.at the very.beginning of the.school year. Clothes, supplies, instrument rentals, dues for extracurricular activities, and school pictures ...
It would be thoughtful if they could wait a few months.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN