Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

why is grammar soooooo expected?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 48 Replies
1 mom liked this

when nothing else is?

people obviously act way more abrasive on the internet than in real life, yet that is OKAY.

people say things about their lives they wouldn't share IRL. yet that is OKAY.

people lie about their houses, their looks, their money...

people google things to appear smarter than they are in real life...

i could go on.

YET IT IS AN ABSOLUTE ABOMINATION TO MISSPELL SOMETHING, OR LEAVE OUT PUNCTUATION, OR ABBREVIATE.

since when is there an unwritten law that says, even though every other part of the internet is totally fucked up, you must be 100% perfect when it comes to your grammar?

that really doesn't even make sense, it it makes people look SO pathetic, when they get all riled up about it.

who the fuck cares is suziesmommie555 spelled YOUR wrong???

seriously?? why do you care?

people say "not my kid not my problem" or "mind your own business" ALL TH TIME.

yet it is apparently everyone's business as to whether or not someone is punctually perfect.

get a grip on life, and worry about something worth worrying about.

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:20 AM

bump

NeverTooMany
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:22 AM
2 moms liked this

Well, I do not lie about my home, income or looks, I will proudly post proof of all. I do not talk about anything online I wouldn't in person. I do google things, but not to look smarter, to learn. SOOOO I expect the same from others. I also check my spelling and make sure to type like I speak, which is educated and classy, not uneducated and classless.

Happy Fall!!!!

Pink.Sunshine.
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:22 AM
3 moms liked this

I need to understand what the hell you're writing, that's why.

SyllabaryBisque
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Because it's fun to correct it, that's why. Duh...

Not to mention, it's obnoxious to see someone absolutely butcher the English language in a post.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this

If the primary form of communication is reading/writing, it makes it important to make it understandable. Just like if someone is slurring or mumbling during a verbal conversation...it makes it hard to continue or even know what the hell they are trying to tell you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:24 AM

but i take it you are more abrasive online? lol

Quoting NeverTooMany:

Well, I do not lie about my home, income or looks, I will proudly post proof of all. I do not talk about anything online I wouldn't in person. I do google things, but not to look smarter, to learn. SOOOO I expect the same from others. I also check my spelling and make sure to type like I speak, which is educated and classy, not uneducated and classless.

meg0620
by Gold Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:25 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't lie about anything, but it makes a memorable impression when you type like a hoodrat or like you're very, very illiterate. Imagine you had a real life problem you needed advice on. No one is going to take you seriously if u type lik dis.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Who said it is okay to be abrasive online?  I've never read or heard that.  Grammar and spelling are important because if you cannot express yourself in an intelligent manner, you're thought to be stupid.  Frankly, I can't imagine not wanting to put my best foot forward even if it is online.  Using the excuse that you shouldn't use good grammar or spelling because it's just the internet is lazy and in my opinion, one more way things are just going straight to hell. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:25 AM

okay, but what is not understandable about "i went to the store to" or "your really nice"

you understand that right??

so that obviously is not the answer it MOST cases.

Quoting Anonymous:

If the primary form of communication is reading/writing, it makes it important to make it understandable. Just like if someone is slurring or mumbling during a verbal conversation...it makes it hard to continue or even know what the hell they are trying to tell you.

MamaRae85
by *you're on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting SyllabaryBisque:

Because it's fun to correct it, that's why. Duh...

Not to mention, it's obnoxious to see someone absolutely butcher the English language in a post.

I agree, especially in cases where a person writes "your an idiot". LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)