Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you used to be fat....(kind of spin off to skinny girl post)

Posted by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:16 AM
  • 11 Replies

So if at some point in your life you were over weight and either lost it and kept it off or just lost it for a while and someone said to you after losing the weight "Wow you look so good!" or something to that affect does it bother you at all?  Is there a more polite way of congratulating on the weight loss?  I know I am just probably over thinking it and probably taking to much of it to heart but sometimes the wording just irritates me and just wonder if it bothers anyone else?

by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
blue.chairs
by Gold Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:17 AM
It never bothered me. The "how did you do it?" Questions were annoying, lol. No one wants to accept that it took straight hard work and eating healthy.

You are probably over thinking it :) now if you say "you look so much better!" That might be a little insulting, lol.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:19 AM

It bothers me, and I think that's where my rebellious side comes from. I look good at any size, so yeah, someone picking up on my weight loss and commenting on it, really pisses me off. Of course I politely say thank you, but I sort of feel like, "was I fucking invisible before". I've always been gorgeous, a few extra pounds doesn't change that, so why are you making a big deal about me losing some weight. And don't even think about asking how I lost the weight, it's not like it was some miracle handed down from God.

stephensmommy06
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:21 AM

i lost over 100 lbs, and it doesnt bother me when people say that. because i KNOW i look better now. i look healthy

Sunshine2plus2
by Platinum Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Nope dont bother me, I know I did not look good at 330pds! Even though I aint where I want to be I have lost 138pds by myself (no surgery)!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:23 AM

nope. part of the reason why i lost 75 pounds is so that people would start saying "wow you look good!" instead of not noticing me at all. plus it is purely motivation for me. maybe the world shouldnt focus so much on looks, but it does, and my life has only benefitted by losing the weight. you can only let the things people say affect you, if you deep down believe them yourself.

just_hc
by Gold Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Doesn't bother me at all.  In fact it's a nice compliment and acknowledgement of my hard work.

mcginnisc
by Gold Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:24 AM

It never bothered me...until I was told to eat a cheeseburger. I went from 167 lbs to 110 lbs.

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

saraadria
by Sara on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:27 AM

I'm down to 125 from 175.  Hearing that I looked/look good helped motivate me/keep me motivated.  Anyone who told me I was too skinny or needed to eat a cheeseburger I wrote off as jealous

Tiffanie2
by Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:28 AM

I used to be fat (5'9...213 and size 14) and I lost 65 pounds.  Got down to a size 4.  The ironic part is that when I was fat, nobody said a word about how unhealthy or ba I looked.  When I lost the weight and got really fit, everyone allot a sudden became concerned that I was too small.

For the few people who did congratulate me....no, it didn't bother me one bit.  I know I look better fit than I did being fat.  I'm also much happier now.

BeAmour
by Tonya on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:36 AM
Not at all!

I've lost a ton of weight for my frame of 4'11.

10lbs looks like 20lbs on me. I've lost 35lbs so far and everywhere I go, if I haven't been for a bit, I hear the same thing: "Omg, I didn't even recognize you!" That's a bug compliment to me because I know they're congratulating me on the loss.

See, I'm not one of those people who have any delusion about what I look like. If I'm fat, I'm fat. If my pants don't fit....it's not because they shrunk in the dryer a year later, no...it's because I'm faf.

Example:
I had to get fitted for my uniforms for school because I've lost so much that there is no way I could continue to have them altered. Well, I walk in and he asks about what size I am and I told him straight up. They were a little big.

We got to talking and he said that so many people have this hope that they are a certain size below what they are and they get disappointed when they don't fit. I'm the total opposite. I'm not delusional. I know I have large hips and thighs and no matter how thin I get, it'll always be like that. I'm not going to purposefully sabotage myself. I always go highest to lowest so it's more of a triumph :)!

I know I went off on a tangent. To answer again, no. Any type of congratulations is wonderful to me. I knew I looked terrible 35lbs ago. I'm a realist. I know I look much better now and I appreciate that they can see it, too.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured