Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I think I need help... Hoarder :(

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 31 Replies

I think that is what's wrong with me. Idk what to do. My house is starting to get on my last nerve. Every day I have off I say I will get it done, but it never happens. I can't motivate myself!

To clarify, let me first tell you a few things about myself that contradict my laziness. I bathe my children every night, they always have clean clothes for school, I always get them to the bus stop on time and they do homework every day. Their rooms are always clean and neat. I also work very hard, after being employed at my job for a year and a half, I have been promoted twice and possibly 3 times after this week. I have a pretty garden I tend to, and the yard is always cut and nice. My car is also always clean. From the outside looking in, we would seem like a pretty neat family.

Now the problem, I have a two bedroom, and I'd decided to give the kids their own room and I stay in the living room. Clothes are everywhere, papers, books, all sorts of things. I still have boxes waiting to be unpacked from where we moved in a year ago. I do good keeping most of the trash up and taking it to the dump, nothing is 'nasty',  no bugs, just a mess. There is just so much STUFF, everywhere... And I can't make myself get it in order, clean up and get rid of crap I don't need.

What is some healthy advice? What are the steps taken to improve from this? And what are your guesses as to why people get like this in the first place? I'm not depressed, especially as of lately. I feel pretty happy and content. Unless I'm home sitting in this mess I can't make myself clean...

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:40 AM

bump

rpmom30
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:42 AM
Play the cleaning game.
momma2mms
by Kristin on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:43 AM
2 moms liked this

Start slow and with a schedule.Have it written out so you have an end in sight.

Example:

Day 1: Unpack 2 moving boxes. Keep what you NEED throw the rest away. Put in a bag and put it in the outside trash can.

Day 2: Organize books. Make a keep pile, a donate pile, and maybe a friend pile. Organize the ones you will keep and put them up somewhere. Get the other books out of your house.

Day 3: Go through all papers for 1 hour. Keep what is important and shred and throw away the rest.

Day 4: Unpack 2 moving boxes. Organize.

Keep repeating until you are finished!

Good luck!

deenakate
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:43 AM
Clean up, just get started, but some orgizational containers that you can put your stuff in, if you don't use it, toss it
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:44 AM

you need  a bigger place.

daughteroftruth
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:48 AM

My MIL is like this.  My advice, If you haven't used it in six months, toss it, take it away. Those unpacked boxes that haven't been touched in a year... well, if they haven't been touched there is nothing of huge important (most likely), don't bother opening the, just toss them.  Go through your clothes and wean itdown to a reasonable amount.  And borrow half a closet from one of your kids or build a simple clothes rack and keep your clothes in the laundry room.  

Use this rule.. if it has a Purpose, it needs a place.  If it has no purpose, it has not place in your home!  yes, some sentimental items say.. but my MIL keeps EVERYTHING and calls it sentimental.  There is nothing sentimental about a pair of jeans your 30 yr old son wore when he was 4.  

any way, take baby steps, choose one room for the month, every day choose a small project.  How about today, gathering up your clothes and going through, keeping what you really like (keep it reasonable, like 10 work out fits, and 10 casual) and take the rest to the local thrift store. 

Teeter-Totter
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:52 AM
Designate a place for everything. If you can't find or make a permanent place for it, give it away or sell it, even if its neat or lovely.

You could get a beautiful cabinet for the living room to keep important documents, etc in.

I had the same problem a year ago, floundering because there was always something left out or cluttered-looking no matter how much I cleaned.

The only thing that helped us was to purge until there was enough space to find a place for everything.

Good luck! Just a warning, purging is addicting :D
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:53 AM

I like the idea of starting slow, I hadn't even thought of it. I want it done, so every time I try to make myself start I feel like I shouldn't stop until I'm finished. But I guess I just have to do it this way, it's never going to get done if I keep that up... Thanks :)

Quoting daughteroftruth:

My MIL is like this.  My advice, If you haven't used it in six months, toss it, take it away. Those unpacked boxes that haven't been touched in a year... well, if they haven't been touched there is nothing of huge important (most likely), don't bother opening the, just toss them.  Go through your clothes and wean itdown to a reasonable amount.  And borrow half a closet from one of your kids or build a simple clothes rack and keep your clothes in the laundry room.  

Use this rule.. if it has a Purpose, it needs a place.  If it has no purpose, it has not place in your home!  yes, some sentimental items say.. but my MIL keeps EVERYTHING and calls it sentimental.  There is nothing sentimental about a pair of jeans your 30 yr old son wore when he was 4.  

any way, take baby steps, choose one room for the month, every day choose a small project.  How about today, gathering up your clothes and going through, keeping what you really like (keep it reasonable, like 10 work out fits, and 10 casual) and take the rest to the local thrift store. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:55 AM
1 mom liked this

I think this is going to help, thanks :) I haven't thought of starting slow, I always just thought of getting it all done.

Quoting momma2mms:

Start slow and with a schedule.Have it written out so you have an end in sight.

Example:

Day 1: Unpack 2 moving boxes. Keep what you NEED throw the rest away. Put in a bag and put it in the outside trash can.

Day 2: Organize books. Make a keep pile, a donate pile, and maybe a friend pile. Organize the ones you will keep and put them up somewhere. Get the other books out of your house.

Day 3: Go through all papers for 1 hour. Keep what is important and shred and throw away the rest.

Day 4: Unpack 2 moving boxes. Organize.

Keep repeating until you are finished!

Good luck!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Yes I know, but the soonest I can move is in February. And I don't know if I want to do that, I like my neighbors and trust them. And our house is kind of down in a hole, pretty private and I feel comfortable letting the kids play outside without checking on them every few minutes.

I have talked to my land lord about building another room on and she is open about that, she just said not yet.

Quoting Anonymous:

you need  a bigger place.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN