Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

what is common core?

Posted by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:46 PM
  • 43 Replies
At dd's kindergarten orientation the teacher mentioned they use this. I looked it up. It's federal standard. Doesn't seem so bad. But then there are all these write ups about how it's bad. So what's the deal with this?
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
queencreekmom
by Silver Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:49 PM

It's pretty awesome I think. It's just the new state standards that we are using to teach. One common core for everyone instead of each state having their own. Much more rigor and higher order thinking than before. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:49 PM

from what i understand it hold all students accountable to the same standards...

P.V.Hawkwind
by Ruby Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:50 PM

idk but the posts on here make it seem like its something bad. 

Lizard_Lina
by Platinum Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:52 PM
That's what I've seen which is why I looked it up.

Quoting P.V.Hawkwind:idk but the posts on here make it seem like its something bad. 
queencreekmom
by Silver Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:53 PM

People just don't like change. And they like to complain! :) as a parent, I like it. As a teacher, it's a lot more work, but I know my sweeties are getting a quality education!

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Quoting P.V.Hawkwind:idk but the posts on here make it seem like its something bad. 

almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:55 PM
I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing - although I don't really know all the details. I think people get upset because it gives more control to the fed government rather than leaving the education to the states. I could be wrong about that though
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:57 PM

i thought the states still adapted thier own version as long as it still fit the guidelines?

Quoting almondpigeon:

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing - although I don't really know all the details. I think people get upset because it gives more control to the fed government rather than leaving the education to the states. I could be wrong about that though

almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:59 PM
I honestly have no idea. I homeschool. But I remember hearing that argument on the news.

Quoting Anonymous:

i thought the states still adapted thier own version as long as it still fit the guidelines?

Quoting almondpigeon:

P.V.Hawkwind
by Ruby Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:59 PM

It comes off as very test oriented.

Quoting queencreekmom:

People just don't like change. And they like to complain! :) as a parent, I like it. As a teacher, it's a lot more work, but I know my sweeties are getting a quality education!

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

queencreekmom
by Silver Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:00 AM

For this year, they still have to do their own state standards in addition, but those should be fazed out. The comman core is inclusive.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting almondpigeon:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)