Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions
At dd's kindergarten orientation the teacher mentioned they use this. I looked it up. It's federal standard. Doesn't seem so bad. But then there are all these write ups about how it's bad. So what's the deal with this?
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:46 PM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 13, 2013 at 7:58 AM
My dd has this problem. She is very smart but doesn't test well at all. It has caused problems some years. With multiplication they do timed tests. She failed every single test. She knows her facts but can't handle the pressure of timed tests. It is the same thing with FCAT. I love her school but I have noticed that when test time gets near, the entire school goes crazy and everything surrounds the tests. It puts a lot of pressure on the kids.

Quoting P.V.Hawkwind:

I am scared. DD is in pre-k right now. I have a feeling that she is gonna struggle with tests. I might quiz her and she panics :(

When you speak with her she is very smart but on paper it might not show it. 

Quoting queencreekmom:

Do you think so? Maybe because the curriculum and assessments are still so new. I like that it's not just surface learning. The kids will be doing much more "dig deeper" kind of thinking and activities.

Quoting P.V.Hawkwind:

It comes off as very test oriented.

Quoting queencreekmom:

People just don't like change. And they like to complain! :) as a parent, I like it. As a teacher, it's a lot more work, but I know my sweeties are getting a quality education!

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

That's what I've seen which is why I looked it up.

Quoting P.V.Hawkwind:idk but the posts on here make it seem like its something bad. 

P.V.Hawkwind
by Ruby Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Here they do it. They will cut down to one recess when testing time comes. So instead of morning, lunch and afternoon. They will cut down to the lunch one only.

Quoting queencreekmom:

No, don't! Let her be a kid! I have never heard of a school cutting recess for testing!,

Quoting P.V.Hawkwind:

Maybe I need to train her to test or something. It seems so wrong to do that to a 4 year but I know schools are very strict about testing and will cut recess in order for kids to test better. I just don't want her to fail in school. 

Quoting queencreekmom:

I hope not! Assessments shouldn't always mean test! I assess my class on the CCSS through many things. Their writing, quick quizzes after a lesson, a few problems of homework that covered the standard, or even just having them do a little assessment on a whiteboard to show what they know. I know they don't feel overly tested.  Hopefully she will do well!

Quoting P.V.Hawkwind:

I am scared. DD is in pre-k right now. I have a feeling that she is gonna struggle with tests. I might quiz her and she panics :(

When you speak with her she is very smart but on paper it might not show it. 

Quoting queencreekmom:

Do you think so? Maybe because the curriculum and assessments are still so new. I like that it's not just surface learning. The kids will be doing much more "dig deeper" kind of thinking and activities.

Quoting P.V.Hawkwind:

It comes off as very test oriented.

Quoting queencreekmom:

People just don't like change. And they like to complain! :) as a parent, I like it. As a teacher, it's a lot more work, but I know my sweeties are getting a quality education!

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

That's what I've seen which is why I looked it up.

Quoting P.V.Hawkwind:idk but the posts on here make it seem like its something bad. 

purpleducky
by Ruby Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Just a few things...

1. It takes the power away from the states to set their own standards, which is unconstitutional.
  2. The start-up cost is astronomical.
  3. There is a federal standard yet no way of tracking the progress.
  4. In some states, the federal standards are lower than the old state standards. These federal standards do nothing to get us closer to the other higher performing countries.
  5. The standards are set by individuals who have no idea how education works.
  6. Those who deal with education (parents and teachers) had no input.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Sep. 13, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Well, what I have heard is this:  It teaches to the test (teacher pay is tied to student test scores, and instead of spending time on each child helping them learn in their individual way and taking the time to do so they will have to have a one size fits all approach); it's written by outside special interests (it was created without public notice and was developed with no input from parents); cuts down on science (it allows for 15 minutes per day of science OR social studies-American students are failing at math and science in comparison to international standards and instead of reforming education to help students excel, they have dumbed down and cut so much science out of the curriculum so that most kids can do well while being moved through the program); the teachers have to keep to a pretty strict classrrom schedule (meaning that they would have to move on even if some students are struggling); and the thing that bothers some people most is that the government is collecting all kinds of data on the students.They want to create a national information database, whether parents want to share the info or not, and parents have no control over what kinds of info they collect or what they then do with it. Those are the main issues that I've heard.

SciFiMama91
by Gold Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 4:49 PM

I don't know but I'm finding out next week. They're having a meeting with the kinder parents to discuss it.

ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on Sep. 13, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Hmm. It's something I've been trying to research myself. I'm finding a lot of biased stuff online though. It's either common core is evil & the downfall of our educational system or common core is awesome possum and will save our crumbling system.  I have heard good and bad about it. I homeschool but I still try to stay informed on what's going on.  I have no opinion on it yet as I still am reading up on it & gathering information. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Sep. 13, 2013 at 5:31 PM
This! Exactly this!

The info they are collecting is downright scary. Like biometric info. And teachers are quitting because try can no longer "teach". They are basically just following a script.

Thank you for being informed. More people need to know about this stuff but it isn't being discussed at all.

Quoting Anonymous:

Well, what I have heard is this:  It teaches to the test (teacher pay is tied to student test scores, and instead of spending time on each child helping them learn in their individual way and taking the time to do so they will have to have a one size fits all approach); it's written by outside special interests (it was created without public notice and was developed with no input from parents); cuts down on science (it allows for 15 minutes per day of science OR social studies-American students are failing at math and science in comparison to international standards and instead of reforming education to help students excel, they have dumbed down and cut so much science out of the curriculum so that most kids can do well while being moved through the program); the teachers have to keep to a pretty strict classrrom schedule (meaning that they would have to move on even if some students are struggling); and the thing that bothers some people most is that the government is collecting all kinds of data on the students.They want to create a national information database, whether parents want to share the info or not, and parents have no control over what kinds of info they collect or what they then do with it. Those are the main issues that I've heard.

Lizard_Lina
by Platinum Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 7:29 PM
That was pretty much how my research went.

Quoting ColtsFan1912:

Hmm. It's something I've been trying to research myself. I'm finding a lot of biased stuff online though. It's either common core is evil & the downfall of our educational system or common core is awesome possum and will save our crumbling system.  I have heard good and bad about it. I homeschool but I still try to stay informed on what's going on.  I have no opinion on it yet as I still am reading up on it & gathering information. 

autiemama516
by Gold Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 7:32 PM

We are in NY and my ds brought this home and I wondered this as well. NY is a Regents State so the standards are already tough.

Lizard_Lina
by Platinum Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 7:33 PM
Wow. I'm going to have to check into that. Because unless I put her in private school this is the curriculum she's going to have and if these things are true I'm going to have to teach her stuff outside of school

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN