Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

WWYD (please give advice)

Posted by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 6:08 AM
  • 48 Replies
I will try to make this quick....

In 2001 after a few years of feeling bad health wise, and several dozen doctor appointents, I was diagnosed with Lupus.

I would go thru spurts of feeling bad for a few months and then I would be fine. Went to a new doctor, he did blood tests and said that I did not have Lupus. However, still lived with the same symptomology as before.

A month ago I landed in the hospital for a few days for a ministroke. Since then I have been to several doctors who took new tests and in the meantime, I requested my past medical records.

To make a longer story short. The doctor who said I do not have Lupus, was lying. The blood tests clearly say positive for the antibody, and am positive for Rheumatoid Arthritis, which is not something to take lightly either.

I am so angry, I am not someone to sue. I hate frevilous law suits. But he dropped the ball, I can remember him telling me 2 years ago I didnt have Lupus, and nothing is wrong with me. Smug with a smirk on his face.

Would you, if in my shoes, at least file a complaint or just move on?
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 6:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jjames1990
by Platinum Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 6:13 AM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 13, 2013 at 6:13 AM
Honestly? Talk to a lawyer.

However. Im one of the mind to think that you should sue IF you were harmed or neglected by the other persons actions. Did his diagnosis of no lupas lead to your hospital stay and stroke or would have happened anyway?
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 13, 2013 at 6:14 AM

I would file a complaint.  

romalove
by SakePrincess on Sep. 13, 2013 at 6:16 AM

I don't know.

When I was pregnant with my first child, they did the test to see if I had antibodies to Rubella (I was not vaccinated against it due to allergies) and I was told by that doctor I had adequate immunity.  This meant I didn't have to worry about being in general populations with people who might be sick or getting sick with German measles (this was 28 years ago, btw, it was more prevalent than now).

Get pregnant with second child, different doctor, she does the blood tests, and says to me "why didn't your doctor give you the Rubella vaccine after you had your son, you have no natural immunity to German measles".

I was appalled.  Of course I didn't get sick and my son was fine, but I did not take any precautions I might have otherwise if I had known I didn't have the immunity, in fact I thought the opposite.

The reason I shared that story is....sometimes doctors don't get it right, or lab results aren't perfect.  I don't know what the story is with your doctor here, but if you are in good medical hands now and if you didn't suffer long term ill results from him telling you that you didn't have lupus, I would let it go.

You have other things to worry about.

Good luck.  :-)

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 13, 2013 at 6:17 AM

I don't think anything can be done about your misdiagnosis. Sure you can complain but I will bet that nothing will come of it. It sucks and I am sorry you are gong through this. I have been misdiagnosed so many times that I have given up on the doctors. I am sick and tired of the BS and no accountability. Whe I complained I was actually told that the test results were a matter of interpetation and that doctors are "practicing medicine" and there is a large scale for error. To me the medical field is so a scam. 

jjames1990
by Platinum Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 6:18 AM
Hard to say. I should have been put on Steriods and another medication, along with aspirin therapy. But I wasnt. I am not leaning towards sueing but I think at least a complaint should be filed, he could cause someone's death by his ignorance.

Quoting Anonymous:

Honestly? Talk to a lawyer.

However. Im one of the mind to think that you should sue IF you were harmed or neglected by the other persons actions. Did his diagnosis of no lupas lead to your hospital stay and stroke or would have happened anyway?

jjames1990
by Platinum Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 6:20 AM
1 mom liked this
And I am grateful that I am ok now and in good hands. First thing I told my husband was, whoa...we got lucky.

Im glad everything with your missed diagnosis wenr well.

Quoting romalove:

I don't know.

When I was pregnant with my first child, they did the test to see if I had antibodies to Rubella (I was not vaccinated against it due to allergies) and I was told by that doctor I had adequate immunity.  This meant I didn't have to worry about being in general populations with people who might be sick or getting sick with German measles (this was 28 years ago, btw, it was more prevalent than now).

Get pregnant with second child, different doctor, she does the blood tests, and says to me "why didn't your doctor give you the Rubella vaccine after you had your son, you have no natural immunity to German measles".

I was appalled.  Of course I didn't get sick and my son was fine, but I did not take any precautions I might have otherwise if I had known I didn't have the immunity, in fact I thought the opposite.

The reason I shared that story is....sometimes doctors don't get it right, or lab results aren't perfect.  I don't know what the story is with your doctor here, but if you are in good medical hands now and if you didn't suffer long term ill results from him telling you that you didn't have lupus, I would let it go.

You have other things to worry about.

Good luck.  :-)

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 13, 2013 at 6:20 AM

You didn't look at your test results two years ago that showed you were positive for rheumatoid factor? What was your titer?

TableforSeven
by Platinum Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 6:21 AM

If your records clearly show a positive result, file a complaint.  It would be better if you had some type of proof that you were told the result was negative....but, I'd file a complaint anyway.

jjames1990
by Platinum Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 6:23 AM
I have been in the medical field for 20 years, I definitely have heard doctors say that they only practice medicine.

I am more angry at myself for not getting copies of my tests for myself back then. I always tell my patients to be their own physician.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't think anything can be done about your misdiagnosis. Sure you can complain but I will bet that nothing will come of it. It sucks and I am sorry you are gong through this. I have been misdiagnosed so many times that I have given up on the doctors. I am sick and tired of the BS and no accountability. Whe I complained I was actually told that the test results were a matter of interpetation and that doctors are "practicing medicine" and there is a large scale for error. To me the medical field is so a scam. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured