Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Treating ADD naturally...who has ideas **ETA**

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 145 Replies
1 mom liked this

I'm almost certain that my 8 yr old has ADD. No hyperactivity but he loses focus ALL THE TIME especially in school.

He'll just zone out and then he'll get in trouble for not completing assignments. He knows the work, so it's not an issue of him not being ABLE to do it but he says that he can't stop thinking. I need to help him focus more but I don't want to drug him.

He's in 3rd grade this year so I am worried that he will zone out during the standardized test in the Spring and have to go to Summer school to be promoted.

So does anyone here have any ideas (food, vitamins, anything) that will help me help him.

**ETA**I want to thank everyone for their suggestions and helpful advice. I haven't been able to reply to everyone but I have read each and every response.

I made an appointment with his doctor to discuss my concerns, the appointment is next month. In the mean time, I'm going to try the Omega 3, cutting out red dye, and processed foods. I'm also considering the Bright Spark supplements but I am doing more research and reading about those. 

Thanks again you all don't realize how helpful you have been

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 13, 2013 at 10:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
supercarp
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 10:10 AM
1 mom liked this

dark chocolate and green tea

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 13, 2013 at 10:14 AM
4 moms liked this
Caffeine, stress squeeze (like the kind you see at office max for desks) it helps dh stay focused, you could also try to qualify him for 504 and ask for accommodations during testing for example having him test in a quieter less distracting area, or having extra time to test.
Greenstone920
by Silver Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 10:14 AM
11 moms liked this

First of all, get him properly screened by a psychologist, so that he has a diagnosis on file, if it is truly ADD.  That way, if he needs a 504 or IEP, he can get one.  

Other than that, cut out the processed foods, and artificial anything, and experiment with caffeine (but not in the form of Mt. Dew, or other such soda garbage).  Again, if he truly has an ADD/ADHD brain, the caffeine won't make him hyper, but will trigger the synapses in the brain that aren't firing at full speed, and will help him focus.  

KyliesMom5
by Gold Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 10:15 AM
3 moms liked this

I don't know, I tried cutting things out of my daughter's diet and doing a few other things that were recommended and I saw no differance. I ended putting my daughter on Concerta for 1st, 2nd grade and some of 3rd grade.  I took her off of it half way through 3rd grade and she did fine in school (it was a hard year regardless). The next year she did amazing! This year has just started but so far so good.  I do try to keep her busy. We go to the pool after school some days and we walk everyday. She also goes horse back riding.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 13, 2013 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this
No red dye. Take omega 3,6,9
fiatpax
by Silver Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 10:16 AM
2 moms liked this

http://feingold.org/overview.php

the  elmination diet

Quoting Greenstone920:

First of all, get him properly screened by a psychologist, so that he has a diagnosis on file, if it is truly ADD.  That way, if he needs a 504 or IEP, he can get one.  

Other than that, cut out the processed foods, and artificial anything, and experiment with caffeine (but not in the form of Mt. Dew, or other such soda garbage).  Again, if he truly has an ADD/ADHD brain, the caffeine won't make him hyper, but will trigger the synapses in the brain that aren't firing at full speed, and will help him focus.  

Mychele
by Ruby Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 10:16 AM
We worked with diet and supplements too. No major changes. Eventually tried daytrana

Quoting KyliesMom5:

I don't I tried cutting things out of my daughter's diet and doing a few other things that were recommended and I saw no differance. I ended putting my daughter on Concerta for 1st, 2nd grade and some of 3rd grade.  I took her off of it half way through 3rd grade and she did fine in school (it was a hard year regardless). The next year she did amazing! This year has just started but so far so good.  I do try to keep her busy. We go to the pool after school some days and we walk everyday. She also goes horse back riding.

Schizomom91
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 10:17 AM
For my little brother, he can't have sweets of caffeine. Works for him, but may not work for your lo
Kriskash25
by Kristina on Sep. 13, 2013 at 10:26 AM
1 mom liked this
I have ADD and I use coffee it really helps me! I also have to have a routine and zero clutter and messes in my path that distract me!
CandM_Momster
by Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 10:26 AM
2 moms liked this

My son has an anxiety disorder that presented itself in a similar fashion as Asperger's syndrome.  We changed his diet and cut out a lot of artificial dyes and flavors.  His anxiety and behavior has improved drastically.  

But, I would definitely seek out an actual diagnosis first.  Even if you don't go the medicated route, but rather a natural way such as changing the diet, it will help him to get the help in school that he needs if he does in fact have ADD.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured