Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

You left my 4 year old there?! Updated, Update 2. Edit 3 after meeting

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 499 Replies
7 moms liked this
This happened Monday. My daughter is in 4K for 2.5 hours a day. My mom takes her and picks her up for me. Anyway, she has not had an accident since starting school. Well, she peed in her pants. No biggie that why they ask for a change of clothes. But she also had diarrhea. She messed in her pants as well. The school called my mom to come get her. When my mom got there less than 10 minutes later there is a lady holding my daughter's backpack but my child was no where to be seen. My mom is told my DD is in the bathroom.

My mom opened the door and saw my DD with her pants and underwear around her ankles, with diarrhea all over her. She told my mom that the lady had said to clean herself up. ( yes I am aware that schools can't clean the children). Here is my problem.....my DD was bawling, scared and trying to clean up the floor. Feces was on her hands, her back, her legs. It was a total mess.

I have requested a meeting to speak with the principal, all 3 teachers and the nurse. Still waiting for that meeting. I want to know for how long and why she was left alone in her condition. She could fell or rub her face and gotten very sick. Or god forbid she didn't wash her hands well and bacteria got into the classroom. Why couldn't they check on her?!

sorry it is so long ( and I left out a lot of details) My mom is ready to go to the superintendent is no answers are forth coming.

My mom takes her and picks her up because I work in another town and her class time is 12-2:30

EDIT: I have had my DD at the park all day and just saw all the responses.

1) yes she is completely potty trained but hasn't had diarrhea since she was an infant. She didn't know what was wrong.

2) it was running down her legs, her shirt had been tucked in ( not by me) and it got on her back when the teacher pulled her shirt out of the waist band ( know that for sure). It was on her hands because she was trying to clean up the floor. She had the accident before she was sent to the office. Teachers knew how bad it was.

3) She's not in special ed. My district offers 4K to all 4 year olds, either traditional all day Kindergarten or half day Montossori (spelled wrong). She is in half day.

4) I am fine with teachers not wiping her genitals, she knows how. They could have wiped her legs. My biggest aggravation came from her three female teachers yelling at her and them putting her by herself in a closed room. She could have fell and hit her head.

5) My mom took a washcloth to clean my DD. She had to rinse it multiple times in the sink.

If I missed anything just let me know. I'm in South Carolina. I do appreciate all the concern y'all for my DD. She is still in the school and fortunately still seems to like her school and class.

Update 2: After talking to the Superintendent this morning, a meeting has been scheduled for Wednesday morning at 8 am. I will update after the meeting.

UPDATE 3: I met with the 3rd teacher, W, the guidance counselor, the principal and the nurse. The teacher did admit that the teachers had had a rough day and were more stern than necessary with her. W told me that she asked my DD if she needed to potty and clean herself up. So that is where that came from. Also, the nurse had left is why my DD was in the office. They assured me and my mom that it wouldn't happen like this again.

I told them that once Serena gets to a "hicc-upy" stage of crying she will throw up. She isn't to be put alone in a room.

The teacher W, is going to reprimanded and if she receives another will be fired. The nurse is being reprimanded as well.

I was also shown a copy of the district policy that states that the school nurse has the authority to clean a child up with a witness if the parents are more than 20 minutes away.

She will be staying at this K4 because she does like it but (and I told the principal this) if she ever says anything like this happens or she tells me a teacher yelled at her again.....I will be in the superintendent's office again and she will be removed from the school. This is the only 4k we're zoned for and the private one is full. I checked.
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:16 PM
1 mom liked this
My DD has told me the same story every night. It never varies. Her teachers yelled at her. She loves school. I don't want something like this to change that.
MamaBuck09
by Silver Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:19 PM
54 moms liked this
I'm with you if they did that to my four yr old i would want answers. Someone should at least stayed there so she wouldn't be scared. Or put some gloves on and help the poor child!
M0M0F03
by Silver Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:19 PM
26 moms liked this

I'd be mad too. They should have some type of protocol for things like this. A four year old can't clean up like that on their own.

VintageWife
by Silver Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:21 PM
15 moms liked this

A 4 yr old is supposed to clean up urine and feces? Was she left alone in there? I'm just picturing the fact that she could have slid on feces and hit her head on the toilet and passed out :(

I'd be at the school getting answers since they don't want to contact you at this point!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:24 PM
5 moms liked this

they probably didn't know she was in that condition, if they sent her to the bathroom to go and it happened in there? If they sent her in like that, that is sad....I think they are allowed to help her clean up, at least the nurse...my poor son had a sudden stomach bug in 1st grade, he had never had an accident before that, but he had diarrhea in his clothes, and the nurse helped him get cleaned up and changed into clean clothes before calling me to pick him up.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:24 PM
2 moms liked this

My sons school always cleaned him up. He was one of those late potty trainers :( Sorry your dd had a rough day Id be pissed

ZennMomma
by Silver Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:26 PM
10 moms liked this

I would march in there and be talking to the principal, that is gross neglect.

poor baby, how scarey.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:27 PM
38 moms liked this

What a way to traumatize a 4 year old.  Wow.  I guess I get that regular wiping and such they expect the child to do, but this sounds like the child may have been ill if she had diarrhea, and what 4 year old could clean up the mess you are describing?  She'd probably never been in that situation to know what to do, and the people she is suppose to trust in school abandoned her.  I would not be comfortable with that.  A nurse or someone should have gloved up and helped in some capacity, even if all they could do was give her instructions.  I bet your mom about died at the sight.  Poor baby.  I get there are rules, but how do we stop thinking about the child? 

rockgal81
by Steph on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:29 PM
14 moms liked this

I would be LIVID! You're damn right I'd be in there giving that teacher and the principal a piece of my mind! That is awful!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:32 PM
8 moms liked this
The restroom/bathroom is in the office is a single person one. Yes she was left by herself with the door closed completely. The 3rd teacher is who walked my DD to the office to wait for my mom. The principal called me Wednesday to find out my schedule to work out a meeting. But the 3rd teacher is out sick. They are dragging their feet. I pointedly told the principal that my mom has a better grip on her temper than I do and that my sister works for DHS. I am not playing with my daughter's safety.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)