Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

OF COURSE YOU HAVE TO PAY!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 147 Replies
2 moms liked this

Ok people yes you have to pay for a school function, just bc you have a child going doesn't get you in for free.

Ice cream social....you want ice cream you pay.

Fall Fest.....you want to eat you pay.

Family Dance.....emphasis on FAMILY you pay & you get a drink w/your ticket.

These things need to be paid for, PTO/PTA doesn't have money coming out of their ass!   How do you think we pay for the DJ?  Or the ice cream? Or the things we need to get for Fall Fest?

These things we also try to raise money with, so we need to cover cost & then some. 

I really thought ths was common sense, but it isn't so it is plastered on our FB page, our PTO newsletter & our PTO page through the school.

I'm sorry we don't have the funds to let people in for free.  I feel like asking people: Well would you rather go back to catalog sales?  We didn't have this issue last year but sheesh this year is ridiculous!

Sorry just had to vent.

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 13, 2013 at 4:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cnjsmith
by Silver Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 4:33 PM
1 mom liked this
I'd rather pay for those events than pay for the whole classes school supplies!
mommytoeandb
by Platinum Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 4:34 PM

I've never had to pay for a PTA event, but we still do catalog sales.  ;)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 13, 2013 at 4:34 PM

*gasp*

Pay?! No way.... LOL  Wait until their kids are in high school.....

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 13, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Last year we dished out over $25,000 for the school & the teachers.

New gym equipment, smart boards, some new computers, reading counts prizes, the list goes on and nope we don't have to pay for class school supplies.  My DD's supplies are hers.

Now they do ask for tissues & hand sani that type of stuff but that doesn't bother me.

Quoting cnjsmith:

I'd rather pay for those events than pay for the whole classes school supplies!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 13, 2013 at 4:41 PM

It is $6 for an adult & $5 for the students.

Admission you get a drink, hotdog, nachos, prize bag for each child & 10 carnival games.

In years past you had to buy tickets for the games, every single game.  By doing it this way we actually cut the cost for parents.

We do this festival pretty much like a carnival, it is one of our biggest fundraisers of the year.  Every year I see parents playing the games.  I guess they should get to play for free?

Quoting Anonymous:

*gasp*

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 13, 2013 at 4:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I am agreeing with you, people complain about the stupidest things ever.... and just wait until their children are in high school when EVERYTHING cost money. NOTHING is for free.

Quoting Anonymous:

Admission you get a drink, hotdog, nachos, prize bag for each child & 10 carnival games.

In years past you had to buy tickets for the games, every single game.  By doing it this way we actually cut the cost for parents.

We do this festival pretty much like a carnival, it is one of our biggest fundraisers of the year.  Every year I see parents playing the games.  I guess they should get to play for free?

Quoting Anonymous:

*gasp*

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 13, 2013 at 4:47 PM

I'm sorry I know you were, that totally came out wrong.  I am very sorry, I should have reread what I wrote & would have fixed it.

Quoting Anonymous:

I am agreeing with you, people complain about the stupidest things ever.... and just wait until their children are in high school when EVERYTHING cost money. NOTHING is for free.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

*gasp*

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 13, 2013 at 4:58 PM

bump

jessi2girls
by Ruby Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 5:04 PM
3 moms liked this

I don't mind paying to get into school events, especially when they are helping to fund things for my child or the school, or community.

But I do prefer that prices be listed so I can prepare for it...  and make sure my family is covered, so I can know how much to bring.. (sorry, I don't like carrying a lot of money, and most of these events are cash only). So while it may be common sense that you have to pay, a lot of parents prefer to be aware of these costs and what they are exactly so they can be prepared when you get there!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 13, 2013 at 5:11 PM
I have no problem paying, when i have the extra money. Between the pta, dads club and the school itself the fundraisers get a litte overwhelming. It seems like they are one right after the other. As a parent, i feel pressured to participate in each even though everyone says you dont need to. I get thats how fundraising is. But its hard to say no when your 6 year old is begging to go to the "fall fest" (ours is manafest) and you just dont have the money. But i would not nor have ever complained or asked that it be free to get in!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)