Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I made a mistake by putting my daughter in a class with special needs kids

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 113 Replies
She is in a class with most kids that have special needs. I have absolutely nothing against children with special needs. I just feel my daughter is out of place at this school. I don't think there is another preschool that offers longer hours than the standard 3 hours. So upset I think I made the wrong decision in picking this school.
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 13, 2013 at 5:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Sep. 13, 2013 at 5:17 PM

As long as she is learning does it really matter if the SN kids are in the class as well??????????

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 13, 2013 at 5:45 PM
4 moms liked this

Think about the life lessons you are teaching her instead she is fine she is still learning it will be ok in the long run she will be a better person for it. Kids should be exposed to all sorts of diffrent people from the time they are itty bitty on up. They learn compassion and to be helpful and less hateful towards people, you made the right choice not the wrong one.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 13, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Is it effecting her learning?

lyranightshade
by Gold Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 5:47 PM
It's preschool. Very, very necessary for sn kids, not so needed for kids with involved parents that are neurotypical.
What's your biggest issue with it?
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 13, 2013 at 5:47 PM
2 moms liked this
First, I think exposure to "differences" will be fantastic for your child. My son grew up closely with his cousin who is marked as different because of his cerebral palsy and he is so compassionate. He doesn't even realize that he goes out of his way to be helpful.
Second, if you're really disliking the school then look into other options. You are the parent and your childs advocate, if you truly feel it's the wrong choice then fix it.
My personal opinion is to wait it out and see if it's actually going to hold her back.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kailu1835
by Platinum Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 5:48 PM
This is all well and good but if it is effecting her learning then she should be in a different classroom where her learning will not be hindered. I learned all of these things just fine without having a bunch of special needs students in my classes.

Quoting Anonymous:

Think about the life lessons you are teaching her instead she is fine she is still learning it will be ok in the long run she will be a better person for it. Kids should be exposed to all sorts of diffrent people from the time they are itty bitty on up. They learn compassion and to be helpful and less hateful towards people, you made the right choice not the wrong one.

babyblue415
by champagne on Sep. 13, 2013 at 5:49 PM

she only goes to school for 3 hours? my kid are in pre k and their day lasts from 8:45 - 3:15

j3st3r
by Jedi on Sep. 13, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Is it headstart?  because that program prioritizes childern with special needs.  If your daughter doesn't need pre-k, send her to daycare instead.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 13, 2013 at 5:50 PM
Here they put special needs in the regular class. Im pissed
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 13, 2013 at 5:50 PM

I seriously doubt it's hindering her in anyway........

Quoting kailu1835:

This is all well and good but if it is effecting her learning then she should be in a different classroom where her learning will not be hindered. I learned all of these things just fine without having a bunch of special needs students in my classes.

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)