Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Sandy hook Charity event ~~~~ETA~~~~~

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:52 AM
  • 104 Replies

I came up with an idea i pitched to my boss to hold a charity event in honor of the Sandy hook victims for their one year anniversery.  Any ideas. the only one I can think of is doing a walk for them but to put a twist on it make it a doggy walk. where  people can bring their dogs, make it fun. i need more ideas, better ideas than that. im in ny and its cold so a walk might not be the best idea

ETA

so far i have a :

50/50 raffle

dodgeball tortoment

mens beauty pagent

dog walk a thon

christmas themed baked goods

volley ball tortoment

crab soccer game

indoor field day

i want proceeds to towards awareness of bullying so we can prevent shootings, tighter school security, and mental health and gun safety

by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gemikris82
by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Bump for ideas!

gemikris82
by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:57 AM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:58 AM
Bake goods. Something with a Christmas theme since many of the children were reported to have said they wanted to live to see Christmas.
gemikris82
by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 11:00 AM

i like that idea.  i was thinking toy drive. but theres toys for tots and thats such a big thing i dont want to take away from that

Quoting Anonymous:

Bake goods. Something with a Christmas theme since many of the children were reported to have said they wanted to live to see Christmas.

gemikris82
by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 11:03 AM

BUMP!

nelliesmommy
by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 11:03 AM

It's been a year already. Omg. I would bake cookies or something.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 14, 2013 at 11:03 AM
2 moms liked this

What exactly more do you think these families need? Not to be crass, but the town got MILLIONS and millions already.

The median household income there is $110,000.

The median home price for 25 completed sales this year was $412,000

Here is a bit about what has already been collected.

$281,000 Each Recommended For Families Of Sandy Hook VictimsJuly 11, 2013|By DAVE ALTIMARI, daltimar@courant.com, The Hartford CourantNEWTOWN — The families of each of the 26 victims of the Sandy Hook school shootings would receive $281,000 in donated funds under a draft proposal presented Thursday night.That equals 95 percent of the $7.7 million that will be distributed to families by the Newtown-Sandy Hook Community Foundation Inc.//]]>

addition, the 12 families of children who survived the Dec. 14 shootings in two Sandy Hook Elementary School classrooms will each get $20,000. The two teachers who were wounded by the gunman, Adam Lanza, will receive a total of $150,000, split between them.A committee headed by former federal Judge Alan Nevas held a hearing at town hall Thursday to listen to comments and suggestions about how to distribute the $7.7 million among the victims of the massacre.Nevas and the two other members of the committee first met privately for two hours with some of the 40 families that are eligible to receive the funds, then held a public hearing that was attended by 40 to 50 people.Kenneth Feinberg, a lawyer who some families wanted appointed to distribute the money, said the distribution committee plans to finalize the figures by Monday, and that families must file their claims by Aug. 2."The money will be out the door to the families by Aug. 15," Feinberg said. "No amount of money is adequate to deal with these horrors. The money is a pretty poor substitute, but that's what we have."During the public hearing, the first few people who spoke tried to ask questions about why only $7.7 million is being distributed to the families, and not the entire $11.4 million contained in the fund.Caryn Kaufman said she works for an organization that is trying to establish a national victims' relief fund. Saying she was speaking for 50 members affected by mass killings, including those at Littleton and Aurora, Colo., she said all of the money should go to the families of the Sandy Hook victims."The public gave money after seeing the faces of those precious children and brave school staff who were senselessly murdered," she said. "The public intent was clear; help ease the burden of those families who lost the most that day. Stop re-victimizing the victims."Rob Accomando, organizer of the My Sandy Hook Family Fund, which gave out more than $1.2 million to the 26 families, said the foundation should be more forthcoming about its deliberations."There are a whole lot of questions that should have come before this meeting," he said. "There's a lot of people here who would love to know how we got to this point, and why the committee has not

gemikris82
by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 11:04 AM

yes december is one year

Quoting nelliesmommy:

It's been a year already. Omg. I would bake cookies or something.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 14, 2013 at 11:04 AM
How about handmade christmas crafts or Christmas cards?

Quoting gemikris82:

i like that idea.  i was thinking toy drive. but theres toys for tots and thats such a big thing i dont want to take away from that

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 14, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Quoting gemikris82:

Quoting Anonymous:

Since that school had only 4% of the kids eligable for free or reduced lunch ( or about 5 kids) what makes you think they won't get toys for Christmas?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)