Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Your child is not "advanced": A Rant

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 117 Replies
2 moms liked this
It's normal to be proud of our kids for reaching milestones, I get that. What bothers me is people who think their child is advanced without looking up basic child development, then brag about it. Some examples of things that my friends have bragged about recently:

1. A six year old who can write her name(the name is a common, 5 letter name).

2. A 4 year old who recognizes emotions/feelings in books and movies and points them out.

3. A 10 month old who is crawling.

This is not "first baby" syndrome with any of these people. I also don't claim my children are advanced; for the most part they are right on track. I have a 4 year old who can read, but even that isn't "omg my child is a genius."

Rant over.

ETA: Yes these people either tell me these average abilities are advanced or ask me things like "isn't that amazing/advanced/genius?" I've gotten good at smiling and nodding because I hate lying to people and it's not like I'm going to say "no, that sounds pretty average." No I do not "brag" about my kids unless they do something worth bragging about. Otherwise I share normal milestones without assuming they are anything but normal milestones.
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 14, 2013 at 11:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Sep. 14, 2013 at 11:57 AM
9 moms liked this

Whats the problem? Who cares really. Just smile and nod and let her be amazed by her child's progress. There are worse parenting flaws to have. 

My son was the very first baby I had ever been around. i was 38 years old and totally amazed by his progression. tho I never claimed he was advanced I probably bragged over each and every little mile stone. 

Photo: -Randi.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 14, 2013 at 11:58 AM
A lot of my friends think my baby is "advanced" but he's not really. They're all first time moms just like me, none of theirs was sitting up, crawling, or now walking at the same as mine. But they constantly hold theirs. My DS plays and explores by himself so I think that's why he started sooner.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 14, 2013 at 12:00 PM
Tell them to eat pizza.
AliceNonsense
by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 12:00 PM
4 moms liked this
This. Most are proud of what their kids can do. They don't mean to come off as their baby/kid is a genius, they're just letting it be known that their kid can do this and that. I wouldn't take that so seriously.

Quoting brettsmomma:

Whats the problem? Who cares really. Just smile and nod and let her be amazed by her child's progress. There are worse parenting flaws to have. 

My son was the very first baby I had ever been around. i was 38 years old and totally amazed by his progression. tho I never claimed he was advanced I probably bragged over each and every little mile stone. 

spunky946
by Ruby Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Agreed.

brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Sep. 14, 2013 at 12:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Im so intrigued on who you might have once been! I read your post the other night LOLOL

Quoting AliceNonsense:

This. Most are proud of what their kids can do. They don't mean to come off as their baby/kid is a genius, they're just letting it be known that their kid can do this and that. I wouldn't take that so seriously.

Quoting brettsmomma:

Photo: -Randi.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 14, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Maybe it's just a mom who's excited about witnessing their kid's milestones :-/ I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that they think their kid is a genius...

faire_jour
by Platinum Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 12:02 PM
3 moms liked this

And even if your kids IS advanced, they almost always even out by 3rd grade. If your kid is in high school and still advanced, you might actually have a gifted child.

staceysgorbach
by Silver Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 12:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Mine are advanced. They've been tested. Lol.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 14, 2013 at 12:03 PM
I agree... I have a friend I work with that thinks because her 2 yr old can sing his abc's means he must be a genius... I just stay out of it though and let her think what she wants... its not my child so I just mind my own business...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)