Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Poor is not an excuse for being dirty

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 12:29 PM
  • 143 Replies
4 moms liked this
I am not referring to the homeless, but just to average low income families. I just don't see a reason for children to be chronically dirty. There is this family that I run into fairly frequently. The two little girls are always dirty. Not just dirty from a little playing, the gross kind of dirty. Their hair always looks like it hasn't been washed in weeks and is plastered to their heads with greasiness. It is never combed. Their faces and hands are covered with dirt.

I grew up very poor, but I was never dirty. My face and hands were always kept clean. My hair was always clean and combed.

The parents weren't walking around dirty like that. I think it is sad that their girls are always that way. It takes very little effort to access a sink to wash faces and hands and comb their hair to at least show you care a little bit.
by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 12:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MIA0223
by Emerald Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 12:31 PM
Yep.
I am always self conscience of this with Anisa!
My mom never did our hair as little kids. And I do anisas every day but her hair is so wild it looks like a brush has never touched it an hour after its done. Lol!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sfigu16
by Platinum Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you! 

My family in Venezuela do not have the luxuries people have here and their house, clothes, kids are always always clean. It is not an excuse whatsoever. 

TrouserMouse
by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 12:34 PM
2 moms liked this
Lol, I know how that is. I had very long hair growing up and was a tomboy. But, you can tell the difference between crazy kid hair and just being dirty.

Quoting MIA0223:

Yep.

I am always self conscience of this with Anisa!

My mom never did our hair as little kids. And I do anisas every day but her hair is so wild it looks like a brush has never touched it an hour after its done. Lol!
TrouserMouse
by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 12:40 PM
1 mom liked this
To me, all it shows is that cleanliness is not a priority. It isn't hard to at least be clean. You don't need fancy clothes, an expensive haircut, or anything like that. Keeping your children clean is a simple expectation.

Quoting sfigu16:

Thank you! 

My family in Venezuela do not have the luxuries people have here and their house, clothes, kids are always always clean. It is not an excuse whatsoever. 

moosesmom
by Ruby Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 12:41 PM
Agreed!
WaffleHead
by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 12:42 PM
Agree
Jessy613
by Diamond Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Totally agree.

Cochise
by Dawn on Sep. 14, 2013 at 12:43 PM

I know some people like that ... the husband wife and child are very low income. No reason not to bathe though ... they all smell terrible and have animal hair all over the clothes. They are kind to me and I would spend more time talking to them but I can not stomach the odor.   ): 

Cochise
by Dawn on Sep. 14, 2013 at 12:44 PM
2 moms liked this

A bar of soap and a bottle of 99 cent shampoo goes far ...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 14, 2013 at 12:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Do they actually have running water and working facilities?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)