Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Free Lunches

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 76 Replies

Right before school started I got a letter from the child nutrition department at my sons school. I ignored it. I assumed it was the letter we get from the school saying how much money was left in his account from last year.

Well I ran across it today and opened it up. I said he had been predetermined to qualify for free lunches. I checked his account and sure enough he has not been charded for breakfast or lunch at all this year. We knew he would qualify because we qualify for food stamps and housing and stuff but we make ends meet so we dont use them. We found out because we put our children on Chip (state insurance you pay for it based on income).

So here is my question, the kids can buy "extras" at school ice cream, special drinks, cheez-its and, sweets do you think it is wrong of me to let him buy the "extras" some times?

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 14, 2013 at 2:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 14, 2013 at 2:36 PM
I don't let my child eat what the school serves, period. Your kid, your money to give him for the sweets.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 14, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Why do you care what CM thinks? If your kid wants extras and you can afford it, go ahead. My dd gets free lunches, but ive never heard of buying extras. Shes in elementary school though.

bleumonster
by Ruby Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 2:37 PM
When mine got free lunch, I put money in their account for extras. However they weren't getting it because I qualified but because they were foster children at the time. This group thinks free lunch equals never any extras.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 14, 2013 at 2:38 PM
No I don't think it's wrong, why would it be? You'll be giving him the money to pay for them. I got free lunch when I was in school, and sometimes my mom gave me money to buy myself a treat.
RiotousDigits
by Ruby Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 2:40 PM

i've never heard of these extra things kids can buy being available before high school.  it's bizarre.

my DDs school doesnt even have a kitchen, let alone a snack bar.

Jamie1972
by Ruby Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 2:41 PM

As long as he doesn't use up all the money for extras in one it's fine. Just make sure he spends wisely and it won't hurt you financially.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Sep. 14, 2013 at 2:50 PM

It's fine.

RazzledRainbows
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 2:53 PM
1 mom liked this
I am a single momma and bothy boys qualify for free lunches. I five them each $2.50 a month and they can buy 5 ice cream bars a month. They can spread it out or eat them all in a week. Thats all they get though.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 14, 2013 at 9:16 PM

I don't so much care what cm thinks as much as looking for opinions. I feel like it is ok but wondered what other opinions might be. there was not extras there was not even choices when i was in first grade. I took peanut butter almost everyday to not eat in the school cafeteria. On free lunch my son can choose between "build your own salad" a hogie sandwich  or two different hot lunches. They offer additional items that he cant get on free lunch i don't like the idea of him being the kid that can't get extras.

Quoting Anonymous:

Why do you care what CM thinks? If your kid wants extras and you can afford it, go ahead. My dd gets free lunches, but ive never heard of buying extras. Shes in elementary school though.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 14, 2013 at 9:18 PM

If my son could get anything that cheap i would have no problem letting him him get something every week! nothing is less than a dollar.

Quoting RazzledRainbows:

I am a single momma and bothy boys qualify for free lunches. I five them each $2.50 a month and they can buy 5 ice cream bars a month. They can spread it out or eat them all in a week. Thats all they get though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN