Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Paying for admission to a birthday party?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 127 Replies
3 moms liked this

I was invited to a coworker's birthday party. The invitation states that there is an admission fee of $25. I've noticed this is a more common practice now. But maybe I'm old fashioned, but why would I pay to go to your birthday? Do you still expect a gift? I could find better things to do with my money. I just think its rude to expect someone to pay to attend your party. Thoughts?

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:25 PM
Where's the party at?
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:26 PM
I wouldnt go to a bday party I had to pay to attend
cateringtomel
by Anna_Elijah on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:26 PM
I agree.

**i can understand if you RSVP and then don't show up..that's $25 she spent on someone who didn't show.
mommyof2andTTC
by Silver Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:27 PM
Ha! Wouldnt go
nolongermstkn
by Mstkn.identity on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:27 PM
It depends on how well I know the person and where its at. For just a coworker, no I wouldn't pay. Someone I'm close to, depends where.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
macbudsmom
by Platinum Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:29 PM
Is it at a venue that charges?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:29 PM
My family did this for a Christmas party. My cousin was having the party at her house and charged $25 per family. We didn't go. If you can't afford it, don't have it.
Id never pay to go to a party.
LoriLou75
by Ruby Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:30 PM
2 moms liked this
I think its silly for an adult o have a birthday party at all. Unless you are at a "milestone" like 21, 40, etc.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:30 PM
2 moms liked this

a ruritan building. But still I would not pay to attend a party. If they cant afford their own party, I dont think they should have one or they could have one at their house

Quoting Anonymous:

Where's the party at?

zoo003
by Gold Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:30 PM
9 moms liked this

Personally, I believe that if you (general you) invite people to your party, then you, as the host, pay for their admission.  I would never expect my guests to pay an admission fee to a birthday party. If the host cannot afford admission prices for all of his/her guests, then that host needs to either slim down the guest list or find another place to hold the party.   In my opinion, this is just tacky.  Thankfully though, this has never occurred for any of the parties that I have been invited to. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured