Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I need some helpful advice

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies
I just began dating someone 3 days ago and he tells me he has cancer and has 6-12 months.

I'm confused on my next step
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:43 PM
2 moms liked this
Wow.

Well if it were me, I would try to keep the cancer part out of any decisions I made regarding the relationship. Meaning dont continue to date him just because he has cancer and you would feel bad to leave him. Also, I wouldn't run because of it either. Does that make sense?! Follow your heart and make decisions based on how you actually feel about him, not because of the cancer, ya know?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katie314
by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:43 PM
Appreciate the fact that he was up front & enjoy the moment. That's really all any of us have. The drs could be wrong, maybe he'll kick cancers ass! Good luck.
DanaG70
by Platinum Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:43 PM

If he starts asking you to pay for stuff, walk away.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:43 PM
I find it peculiar he would tell you that so soon while seeking a dating relationship. I'd say run the other way.
lostcaligirl
by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:46 PM
My daughter just passed away from cancer, totally different dynamic but I think you should give him a chance, he may be the one, they may be wrong! I would give anything for another minute with my daughter.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:49 PM
Its hard. I feel locked in and a dick if I did anything else

Quoting Anonymous:

Wow.

Well if it were me, I would try to keep the cancer part out of any decisions I made regarding the relationship. Meaning dont continue to date him just because he has cancer and you would feel bad to leave him. Also, I wouldn't run because of it either. Does that make sense?! Follow your heart and make decisions based on how you actually feel about him, not because of the cancer, ya know?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:52 PM
I'm sure it is! But like I said, just try to keep the cancer out of any decisions you make. How did you feel about him before he told you? Don't feel like you're trapped or you have to run. If you're not interested in him for something long term (as long term as it can be :(...) then dont feel bad leaving. You wouldn't be doing either of you any favors, ya know?! But if you were liking the guy, then give it a chance. He was upfront and honest with you, so he deserves the same from you! Good luck...thats a really hard situation!!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Wow.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:59 PM
I hadn't formed an opinion yet

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm sure it is! But like I said, just try to keep the cancer out of any decisions you make. How did you feel about him before he told you? Don't feel like you're trapped or you have to run. If you're not interested in him for something long term (as long term as it can be :(...) then dont feel bad leaving. You wouldn't be doing either of you any favors, ya know?! But if you were liking the guy, then give it a chance. He was upfront and honest with you, so he deserves the same from you! Good luck...thats a really hard situation!!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Wow.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 14, 2013 at 11:01 PM
Well, how would have proceeded had he not told you?! I understand that's kind of a hard question to answer because he did tell you. Just give it some time and really think about what you wanna do. But don't feel like you have to continue to see him just because he is potentially dying. Do what your heart tells you.

Quoting Anonymous:

I hadn't formed an opinion yet

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Wow.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN