Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

how long does adoption take?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies
Anybody here adopt? I want to adopt a baby girl. We are open to white, Asian and Hispanic as I am an Asian / white mix and dh is a white/Hispanic mix. Will be being open to three race combinations decrease our wait time? We are wanting to adopt a girl because I have three boys and we want a sure bet for a girl. Any idea on a timeline?
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 15, 2013 at 12:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
csxt99
by Jennifer on Sep. 15, 2013 at 1:28 AM

It can take years and years.  Get a hold of a lawyer right away and see what they say.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 15, 2013 at 1:31 AM

If you are in Texas, you could adopt a hispanic baby girl from CPS in no time at all - like almost immediately.  I have lots of friends who have adopted from CPS. Well I guess it does take a year for it to be final.

MommyAddie
by Gold Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 8:35 AM
My personal adoption - it was 9 months from the time I filled out the paperwork until my homestudy was approved. Then, almost immediately, my twins (who were 3 days old) were placed with me. It took 14 months from that point to handle the parents' TPRs (termination of parental rights) because the mom did it voluntarily and the dad half-assed fought it, though his rights were terminated eventually. Then it was another 60 days until the adoption could be done, in case of an appeal. There was no appeal, and 60 later we adopted them at the family courthouse and it was legal/final/irrevocable that same day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 15, 2013 at 12:09 PM
I'm in Missouri

Quoting Anonymous:

If you are in Texas, you could adopt a hispanic baby girl from CPS in no time at all - like almost immediately.  I have lots of friends who have adopted from CPS. Well I guess it does take a year for it to be final.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 15, 2013 at 12:11 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 15, 2013 at 12:11 PM

I didn't adopt but my sister did. It took just over 2 years for all the stuff. She was able to take her son home the day he was born but in their state their is a bunch of BS to go through so it took 2 years to finalize it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anybody here adopt? I want to adopt a baby girl. We are open to white, Asian and Hispanic as I am an Asian / white mix and dh is a white/Hispanic mix. Will be being open to three race combinations decrease our wait time? We are wanting to adopt a girl because I have three boys and we want a sure bet for a girl. Any idea on a timeline?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 15, 2013 at 12:11 PM
Is that pretty typical? I'm just starting out so I don't know much.

Quoting MommyAddie:

My personal adoption - it was 9 months from the time I filled out the paperwork until my homestudy was approved. Then, almost immediately, my twins (who were 3 days old) were placed with me. It took 14 months from that point to handle the parents' TPRs (termination of parental rights) because the mom did it voluntarily and the dad half-assed fought it, though his rights were terminated eventually. Then it was another 60 days until the adoption could be done, in case of an appeal. There was no appeal, and 60 later we adopted them at the family courthouse and it was legal/final/irrevocable that same day.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 15, 2013 at 12:11 PM
Depends on the state.
liltampa71
by Platinum Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 12:12 PM

It could take years, but since you are open to minorities, less. 

bleumonster
by Ruby Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 12:13 PM
It depends on how you adopt, if you only want a newborn or will take an older child, what state you are in etc. There is no cut and dried answer.

I adopted older children from foster care, it took 2 1/2 years for finalization.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)