Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Universal Healthcare *Added Info*

Posted by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 9:41 AM
  • 112 Replies

Okay, Americans, here is a question for you.

If America was to have a proper universal healthcare scheme (perhaps like Australia's Medicare), how would you like it to be?

Think about things like how it would be payed for (taxes, government cuts etc), how you would be eligable for it. How much it would cost you (as an individual), what medical it would cover, if you would still be covered if you also choose to have private health etc.

And seperately, if you were to choose only private health, what sort of premium would you find reasonable for what cover.

So this is basically our medicare in a very basic nutshell.

Quote:

Australia achieves universal coverage through Medicare, a tax-funded public insurance program that covers most medical care, including physician and hospital services and prescription drugs. Most health services are financed and regulated by the federal government, although the states and territories have responsibility for public hospital care. Besides Medicare, roughly half of Australians receive additional coverage through private insurance, which the government subsidizes and which covers such services as dental care and private hospitals. Most doctors operate in private practice and are paid on a fee-for-service basis, and GPs act as gatekeepers to specialized care. Roughly two-thirds of hospital beds are in public hospitals and the rest in private, although private patients can be treated in public hospitals. Physicians in public hospitals either earn a salary and can receive additional fees for seeing private patients, or are in private practice and receive hourly compensation for treating public patients. Current policy goals include developing a new management structure for public hospitals around local area networks, increasing the federal government’s contribution to public hospitals, introducing performance reporting, and strengthening primary care.

by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 9:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
New.OrleansLady
by Platinum Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 9:42 AM
1 mom liked this

This is a loaded question for a Sunday morning lol .... Hope you find the answers you're looking for though. 

BeautifulFey
by Gold Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 9:44 AM

:) I just thought that it would be interesting, since so many people are against Obamacare, to see what they really want.

Quoting New.OrleansLady:

This is a loaded question for a Sunday morning lol .... Hope you find the answers you're looking for though. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 15, 2013 at 9:46 AM
I already pay $300+ a month just for my health insurance premiums. I would be okay paying that in taxes plus some just to ensure myself and others have the health care they need.
BeautifulFey
by Gold Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Okay, that's a good start to an answer. So, for curiosity sake (I have private healthcare in Australia and am also covered under public health AKA universal healthcare scheme), what is covered under your insurance, and approx how much for each part (like optical, hospital excess etc).

Quoting Anonymous:

I already pay $300+ a month just for my health insurance premiums. I would be okay paying that in taxes plus some just to ensure myself and others have the health care they need.

lucydiamond
by LD on Sep. 15, 2013 at 9:48 AM
4 moms liked this
I'm so glad I live in Canada and don't have to make the choice between going to the ER when I slice open my hand on a rusty nail at work and paying my rent for the month. God bless 'Merica.
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Sep. 15, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Government should never have a hand in who lives and who dies.  In all countries with universal healthcare there are people that fall victim to the, "Is it really worth it?", scenario!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 15, 2013 at 9:50 AM
3 moms liked this
I'm very pro universal health care, in just hate what the house of representatives did to the affordable care act to pass it. I do not agree with having a mandate without a public option. However, the healthcare industry in America is such a big power and huge lobbyists, they line the pockets of congressmen and women to get what they want out of this. Until we get rid of the corporations in our politics, nothing is going to benefit the people.

Quoting BeautifulFey:

:) I just thought that it would be interesting, since so many people are against Obamacare, to see what they really want.

Quoting New.OrleansLady:

BeautifulFey
by Gold Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 9:50 AM

That's the thing I couldn't understand, I always assumed that you could go to the hospital and maybe start a payment plan or something?

Naive little me down here in the land down under lol.

Quoting lucydiamond:

I'm so glad I live in Canada and don't have to make the choice between going to the ER when I slice open my hand on a rusty nail at work and paying my rent for the month. God bless 'Merica.

BeautifulFey
by Gold Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 9:51 AM
1 mom liked this

I think being able to walk into a hospital and know you will be treated and not charged hundreds of dollars is worth it for everyone.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Government should never have a hand in who lives and who dies.  In all countries with universal healthcare there are people that fall victim to the, "Is it really worth it?", scenario!

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Sep. 15, 2013 at 9:52 AM

But TWO of my older relatives had to sell everything they had, move in with family and travel to Buffalo to get proper care for their cancer because they were too old to be worth extraordinary measures......both survived by the way.  Oh and then there was my Aunt that died waiting ten months for an MRI that if done in a timely manner could have solved her issue......Yeah Canada, fabulous!

Quoting lucydiamond:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)