Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

ETA: They SHOULD teach that...

Posted by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 9:54 AM
  • 249 Replies
3 moms liked this
I see lots of complaints about schools. It's a mc favorite topic.
In your opinion:
What should schools teach that they don't?

Edit: I agree with many many of you.
HOWEVER, a lot of you included things that should be taught at home. Need to learn how to cook? Need to learn finances? Manners? These things should be learned at home with the schools adding to what was already taught at home. It's not the schools job to raise your child.
by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 9:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 15, 2013 at 9:55 AM
11 moms liked this
Manners
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 15, 2013 at 9:58 AM
4 moms liked this
I grew up in a school that taught us about Hitler and everything that happened everything that he did. I remember being in 6th grade and crying my eyes out for the tragedy that had occurred. Yrs later I found out that my school was one of the very few that actually talk what really happened.

I think that all schools need to teach what really happened.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 15, 2013 at 9:59 AM
12 moms liked this
I kind of think they should bring back home ec. They didn't have it when I was in school but from what I understand they teach about raising a child (which I think might help with teen pregnancy), budgeting a pay check, paying bills and investing, cooking, etc. I would have loved to learn those things in school. When I turned 18 and was on my own i had no idea what investing was or how to budget well. Or cook for that matter lol.
mommy_me
by ~The Three B's~ on Sep. 15, 2013 at 9:59 AM
13 moms liked this
how to use the checkbook
how to save money
how to make a budget
LadyVoldemort
by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 10:00 AM
6 moms liked this
This
Home ec shouldn't be an option, but a requirement. For all kids, boy or girl

Quoting Anonymous:

I kind of think they should bring back home ec. They didn't have it when I was in school but from what I understand they teach about raising a child (which I think might help with teen pregnancy), budgeting a pay check, paying bills and investing, cooking, etc. I would have loved to learn those things in school. When I turned 18 and was on my own i had no idea what investing was or how to budget well. Or cook for that matter lol.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 15, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Citizenship, Fiscal Responsibility, How to Market Yourself, Entrepreneurship

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Sep. 15, 2013 at 10:02 AM

More history. My DD21 went through SEVEN schools with only being taught about 6 months of history in 13 years of schooling. :/ Her 2 primary schools (one she was only at for K & 1) only did history in the 7th grade, her grade 8 class she did history for a term (so 10 weeks) and that was it. Her next school told her that only seniors got to do history, then the 5th told her that because she had been doing legal for so long she had to stick with legal at the new school, the 6th didn't do any SOSE and the 7th told her that because it was grade 12, it was all aimed at uni aiming students (fair enough.) So my DD barely knows who Adolf Hitler is :/

housewifehell
by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 10:03 AM
1 mom liked this

Schools need to be teaching life skills like how to budget and how to cook and clean and sew and things that aren't taught anynmore. I mean hell when I was in highschool I thought at some point I would be taught about taxes like how to do them but no that wasnt a life skill worth teaching WTF?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Sep. 15, 2013 at 10:03 AM
Are you talking about the holocaust?

Of course schools talk about what really happened. Usually its for older kids as the reality of it isn't something younger kids can really handle. I remember learning about it in 7th grade, and in depth in both high school and college.

Quoting Anonymous:

I grew up in a school that taught us about Hitler and everything that happened everything that he did. I remember being in 6th grade and crying my eyes out for the tragedy that had occurred. Yrs later I found out that my school was one of the very few that actually talk what really happened.

I think that all schools need to teach what really happened.

AutymsMommy
by Platinum Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 10:04 AM
3 moms liked this

Nothing. I think schools already teach far more than they should.

ETA: I would like to see a shift in teaching social studies - students need HISTORY, not some watered down version of "social studies".

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN