Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This could have been so much worse.....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 53 Replies

Just a reminder that if you or another one of your kids takes meds to make sure they are out of reach AT ALL TIMES even if your younger kids hasn't ever messed with them. 

Yesterday was a beautiful day and I was getting ready to take my boys (7 & 3) to the park for some  fun in the amazing weather. I had my little guy all done and ready to go and got started on my 7 year old. He is special needs and on a crapton of meds that I keep locked away and I fill up a weekly pill box that has 4 slots in it. The individual days pop out so you don't have to take the entire box so I had filled up what was needed and didn't immeadieatly put it in my purse, instead I stupidly left it with some other things I was going to be taking with me on the counter. 

After I got my 7 y/o's hair brushed, we walked into the living room. I expected to find my 3 y/o on the ipad like he usually does any chance he gets but instead, I found him holding the pill daily slot! I glanced at it and noticed the risperdone was gone. And looked in this mouth and he had already chewed it up. I freaked out and stuck my finger down his throat to try to get him to throw it up, but I only got a little. I called poison control and he told me to take him to the er since it was over 1 mg (it was 3 mg). 

I called my parents to see if they wanted to take my oldest while I tended to my youngest and they rushed over to the er. When we got there, he was already acting "drunk" and was getting really sleepy. We didn't wait long and got back into a room and they got him started on some charcoal mixed with chocolate milk (in which he drank like a champ!). 

My poor guy was SOOOOO sleepy and didn't want me to leave his side. He was pitiful :(

and I felt horrible. 

Well, he slept for a few hours, but any movement he made sent his little heart rate shooting to rates up to 170-180. It was scary and we had to stay even longer after the pill wore off to make sure his heart would settle down. 

Finnally, after being there almost 8 hours, we were able to go home. H slept with me and despite sleeping most of the day, he slept all night also. 

Now, thankfully, he is back to his rowdy self and I couldn't be happier. I gave him extra loves and kisses and asked him if he was ever going to touch brothers pills and he said "noooooooo", lol. 

Well, I have learned a lesson and will take extra care with locking up and when we leave I will be keeping the meds on me instead of putting it somewhere where he even MIGHT be able to get to. Don't want this to happen again. It was scary. 

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 15, 2013 at 11:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 15, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Bump!

lucky2Beeme
by Ruby Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 11:31 AM

OMG how scary. I'm glad is wasn't worse. Hugs mama. I bet you are still shaking.

kitty8199
by Ruby Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 11:32 AM
I'll never understand why kid chew and swallow pills. They taste horrible.
Glad everything turned out ok.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 11:33 AM

It is scary. My DS got into my great aunts Alzheimer pills when he was 2 years old. We spent the majority of Christmas at the ER. =( 

Glad he is okay. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 15, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Bump!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 15, 2013 at 11:35 AM
Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

It is scary. My DS got into my great aunts Alzheimer pills when he was 2 years old. We spent the majority of Christmas at the ER. =( 

Glad he is okay. 

Oh wow! And those pills are even more stronger then when mine took!
alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Glad he is okay. 

Poison control said there wasn't an immediate danger but we took him to the ER because he was lethargic, he had become very dehydrated. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 15, 2013 at 11:38 AM
Awe, that is scary! Glad everything turned out OK!
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 15, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Glad he is okay. 

Poison control said there wasn't an immediate danger but we took him to the ER because he was lethargic, he had become very dehydrated. 

Poor thing :(

thats what I had always feared was one of my kids taking something they aren't supposed to. So I thought I was beign careful. But I wasn't even thinking when I stuck it with my ipad and keys and couple of drinks I was to be taking also. I'm forgetful so I didn't want to forget them. 

unspecified42
by Gold Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Definitely. I had a little guy who took an unknown amount of one of his parents' adderall one time. I think he was hallucinating (he was too young to tell us anything) and he was screaming and flailing for hours despite the medication we gave him to counteract it, pouring sweat and heart rate up in the 200s. According to the parents, the pills were in a childproof container that he managed to open. Poor guy!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured