Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Am I being unfair?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 46 Replies

Would you make your kids get an after school job to help pay the bills? I told 2 of my kids that they are going to have to get jobs and give me 1/3 of their paycheck for bills. They are pissed and saying I am being unfair. They want to be able to keep all their money to blow it on bullshit. I am trying to teach them responsibility. So do you think I am being unfair?

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 15, 2013 at 11:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ColieO
by Ruby Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 11:50 AM
How old are they?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 15, 2013 at 11:51 AM

15 and 17.

Quoting ColieO:

How old are they?

SRUsarahSC
by Platinum Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 11:51 AM
1 mom liked this

how old? When we started working we were responsible for our clothes for the most part, car insurance, pay for all our going out and we were expected to put money aside for college. My parents didn't closely monitor us because we were all mature enough by 16 to know to budget.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 15, 2013 at 11:52 AM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't use it on bills. My son mows lawns for family.. He's only 10. I make him put 3/4 of it into his savings account. He knows when he is 16 we will match his savings to get a car.
LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Sep. 15, 2013 at 11:52 AM
I had to contribute, starting when I got my first job at 16...I don't think it's unfair, it taught me that bills come first, before play...and how to save money...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bleumonster
by Ruby Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 11:53 AM
2 moms liked this
That's a bit too much unless they are over 18. I would make them save some and use some for their own expenses such as clothes and gas but to give it to you for bills, no.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 15, 2013 at 11:53 AM
4 moms liked this
Wayyy too young. Let then get jobs and be able to save for a car, or college. You are the parent. You worry about the bills. Give me a break.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 15, 2013 at 11:53 AM

They are 15 and 17.

Quoting SRUsarahSC:

how old? When we started working we were responsible for our clothes for the most part, car insurance, pay for all our going out and we were expected to put money aside for college. My parents didn't closely monitor us because we were all mature enough by 16 to know to budget.

brysonsmommy_10
by Silver Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 11:53 AM
6 moms liked this

Imo, it is your responsibility as a parent to pay the bills and provide their needs.  If they were having to get jobs to pay for extras (car insurance, gas, clothes they want, snacks, fast food...) then there is nothing wrong with that.

Momsthename0609
by Silver Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 11:54 AM
I don't think you are being unfair but I would put it in a savings account instead.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)