Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Boy babysitter for a little girl? Eta # 2

Posted by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 12:48 PM
  • 236 Replies
1 mom liked this

Would you let your dd be babysat for a boy babysitter? My friend has a son and I think that is fine. The boy is 4 and the babysitter is 12 but I feel more comfortable with a female babysitter, but my nephew wants to babysit and I don't think anything wrong with it. 

So today I let a event pass because I couldn't find a female babysitter for my dd and I was offered that she come over with the male babysitter but I still don't feel comfortable. 

What do you think? 

I think it is great to babysit no matter the gender but do you believe for boys the gender does not matter but for girls only females should babysit? 

I am just curious what other think. 

Eta. The boy babysitter I am talking about I never met.  He is not my nephew. 

Eta# 2

I never mentioned anything about being a sex offender so please stop putting things in the post something I never mentioned. 

I was not comfortable with a male babysitter who is twelve babysitting my dd. that is all and that is what I was curious about. People are reading other things into this. Even the kids own mother wouldn't want him babysitting her. I am not the only one that thinks this way. 

She has had one babysitter here and she was in her twenties. I am afraid to leave her with anyone but family but my family is not here. 

I never meant to imply that I didn't trust men..men are wonderful care takers. My nephew wants to babysit ( not for me) i think it is great. My brother, his father is not for it. I am not the only one that is like this. It is just I feel uncomfortable.  I hope that cleared some things up. 

by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 12:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
leksismommy
by Platinum Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 12:51 PM
10 moms liked this

I have 2 girls so a it would probaby be easier for a girl to babysit. Our regular babysitter is a 17yo boy, he does great, he grew up with two little sisters, so he gets the drill

ETA. Don't discredit a babysitter because of their gender.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 15, 2013 at 12:51 PM
6 moms liked this

I think if the boy is responsible and treats the child properly..the gender doesn't make a difference.Being male doesn't equal a child molestor.  Females are just as likely to do it and it doesn't get talked about as much.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 15, 2013 at 12:51 PM
I prefer a female sitter. Two of my kids interact better with females, and my other kd will interact with anyone. Lol I have a two boys, and a girl.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 15, 2013 at 12:52 PM
1 mom liked this

How old is DD?

I think if you trust your nephew it shouldn't be a problem.  By saying that he can't babysit a little girl, you are basically implying he WILL be a pervert instead of ever giving him a chance.

Does he love her?  Does he do good with children?  Is he a trustworthy, respectable young boy?  Then why does his gender REALLY matter?

The only time I would prefer female over male to that extreme is when they are young/potty training.  Most young boys just don't understand how to properly help clean the female anatomy.  That said, I've had some female babysitters who only raised boys completely f*ck up a diaper change and give the babies UTIs or push fecal matter up into their parts.  Gender doesn't determine how well they'll do in the end.

LAXmom21
by Ruby Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 12:53 PM
1 mom liked this
My boys have both babysat for girls.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Sep. 15, 2013 at 12:55 PM
1 mom liked this
Erm yes. Boys can be just as responsible as girls. Now at 12 maybe not but that goes for boys and girls.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 15, 2013 at 12:57 PM
1 mom liked this

My DD's favorite sitter is male. She prefers him over her other sitters.

Cassidysmom611
by Gold Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Gender doesn't bother me. 

SuperPickle
by Gold Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 12:59 PM
1 mom liked this

When I was a kid me and my sisters FAVORITE babysitter was a guy. He was AWESOME. I am 32 now and I have him on my facebook and chat with him every now and then. And I still have this weird rabbit puppet he gave us when he left for boot camp.

I think if it is someone you trust, it is someone you trust regardless of their sex or your childrens.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Sep. 15, 2013 at 1:02 PM
11 moms liked this
Why is it all boys and men are seen as perverts when it comes to taking care of kids?? This shit is getting old.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN