Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm cooking bacon, not meth. Your kid can't get a contact high from my meat. *an edit for clarity ;-)

Posted by   + Show Post

Last night, one of DD's friends slept over.  Her family is vegan/vegetarian (mom is the strict one).  I served the kids homemade mac and cheese last night and broccoli steamed with butter and they ate chcolate ice cream after that.  (I think they may have eaten two liters, I don't even want to know for sure.)  This morning I made cinnamon pancakes and bacon.  DD's friend gobbled up a ton of pancakes and had me recite the recipe so she could write it down for her mom.  LOL, I didn't tell her, but I know her mom would rather gouge out her own eyes than make pancakes.  But the kid seemed happy, mom came and got her, ate a pancake while she was here and hung out for a bit.  She knows we eat meat and that we often serve meat when her DD is over, but that I always go out of my way to make sure her DD has a nice, meatless choice.  

So, just now, a friend rings me up and tells me that her DD had a friend over last night too.  Same deal, family is vegetarian.  But she tells me that the parents came to pick up the kid and they flipped out when they heard from their DD that the family had served sausages and eggs for breakfast.  Their DD had fruit and cereal and eggs.  No one even offered her meat.  The dad told her that he thought is was very rude and inconsiderate of her to eat meat in front of their kid.  I understand the "meat is murder" thing even came up.  I told my friend our vegan/vegetrians don't act like that.  

So, if you're vegan or vegetarian, do you have an issue with your kids being "exposed" to meat eaters and their "kill"?  LOL.  I'm thinking my friend just ran into some loonies.  I don't think that's the normal behavior for most non meat-eaters, but what the Hell do I know.  

*Just FYI:  The kids in both houses were/are vegetarians, not vegans, therefore, the eggs and ice cream were perfectly acceptable.  I know the difference between a vegan and a vegetarian.  ;-)

by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 1:30 PM
Replies (11-20):
Lordgodempress
by Gold Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 1:43 PM

I know a lot of people who are vegans, they have no problem if we eat meat around them, although I do try and make meatless meals when they are visiting.  I dont think the parents should get upset but I, myself, would have not served meat while the child was visiting as a way to teach my kids about other peoples choices and lifestyles and to make things a little easier on the child but thats just me.

quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 1:44 PM
I was a vegetarian for 13 years and never cared if anyone ate meat around me. I also think its a personal choice so if I were still a vegetarian I wouldn't have a moral issue with my son eating it, provided it didn't make him sick.
MamaK88
by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 1:45 PM
6 moms liked this

ugh..."Veggie-Thumpers" are almost *worse* than Bible-Thumpers!!!  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 15, 2013 at 1:45 PM
2 moms liked this

We had a friend who started crying over people eating meat, but ate a piece of bacon the next morning...

TheDoctorsWife
by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 1:45 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 15, 2013 at 1:45 PM

They cant possibly expect their child to never be exposed to carnivores can they? he/she will be old enough to make their own decisions someday and may even decide that a nice juicy steak once in a while is not so bad! lol

inspain
by Platinum Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 1:45 PM
2 moms liked this

That's what I'm thinking too.  My poor friend, she's really sweet too.  I started laughing at the thought of her being attacked by a vegan.  LOL.

Quoting paganbaby:

No, not al all,lol. Those parents were loonies...

inspain
by Platinum Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 1:46 PM

A closet carnivore!  Sad.  lol

Quoting Anonymous:

We had a friend who started crying over people eating meat, but ate a piece of bacon the next morning...

Akunkle1
by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 1:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd say if you don't like what I eat, then don't let your kid stay anymore.

RJsMommy0828
by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 1:50 PM

wow I mean come on they are KIDS for crying out loud all they know is that it tastes good

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN