Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm cooking bacon, not meth. Your kid can't get a contact high from my meat. *an edit for clarity ;-)

Posted by   + Show Post

Last night, one of DD's friends slept over.  Her family is vegan/vegetarian (mom is the strict one).  I served the kids homemade mac and cheese last night and broccoli steamed with butter and they ate chcolate ice cream after that.  (I think they may have eaten two liters, I don't even want to know for sure.)  This morning I made cinnamon pancakes and bacon.  DD's friend gobbled up a ton of pancakes and had me recite the recipe so she could write it down for her mom.  LOL, I didn't tell her, but I know her mom would rather gouge out her own eyes than make pancakes.  But the kid seemed happy, mom came and got her, ate a pancake while she was here and hung out for a bit.  She knows we eat meat and that we often serve meat when her DD is over, but that I always go out of my way to make sure her DD has a nice, meatless choice.  

So, just now, a friend rings me up and tells me that her DD had a friend over last night too.  Same deal, family is vegetarian.  But she tells me that the parents came to pick up the kid and they flipped out when they heard from their DD that the family had served sausages and eggs for breakfast.  Their DD had fruit and cereal and eggs.  No one even offered her meat.  The dad told her that he thought is was very rude and inconsiderate of her to eat meat in front of their kid.  I understand the "meat is murder" thing even came up.  I told my friend our vegan/vegetrians don't act like that.  

So, if you're vegan or vegetarian, do you have an issue with your kids being "exposed" to meat eaters and their "kill"?  LOL.  I'm thinking my friend just ran into some loonies.  I don't think that's the normal behavior for most non meat-eaters, but what the Hell do I know.  

*Just FYI:  The kids in both houses were/are vegetarians, not vegans, therefore, the eggs and ice cream were perfectly acceptable.  I know the difference between a vegan and a vegetarian.  ;-)

by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 1:30 PM
Replies (21-30):
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Ruby Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 1:51 PM

My vegetarian friends have no problem with people eating meat around them or their children.

However, I tend to avoid making meat when I have their children.  There were times before where their kids insisted they wanted to try it with other friends, "just to taste it once!"  So I decided to just avoid that whole mess and just cook vegetarian.

I do know Vegans and Vegetarians are different.  Vegan means NO animal by-product, while there can be varying levels of vegetarian, some who eat milk and eggs, some who don't, etc.  So if you cooked a vegan meal next to bacon with all the grease splattering, well...That could be a problem, too.

zraunt
by Silver Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 1:52 PM

She should have told him to get over himself.

liltampa71
by Platinum Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 1:52 PM

In my old neighborhood, there were a lot of Hindu kids, so lots of vegetarians.  Never had a problem at a party when I served hotdogs (also got vegetarian hd for their kids) or ordered pizza with meat (made sure I had options for their kids.)  I went as far as to make sure my meat was not cooked with their veggies (hotdogs on foil).

No problems ever.

codfish
by Gold Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 1:53 PM
3 moms liked this
Ummm...his families needs? Yeah..no. His family has made the choice to be vegan. Cool....your family isn't. Those are wants..not needs.
I would have been all kinds of nasty pointing that out to him while telling him how incredibly rude he was for his behavior

Quoting inspain:

The kids, in both cases, are being raised vegetarians.  The mom of DD's friend is vegan, but she's not a pain in the ass about it.  Actually, I have to say, my own experience, she's one of the few vegans that isn't a pain in the ass.  But as far as her kid goes, she eats eggs and dairy, so it's relatively simple to provides something she'll eat.  My friend tells me it's the dad that's the vegan in her case and he was a total ass about them serving any animal products.  She told him that she wasn't told that the kid had any food restrictions and, at age 12, she just assumed the kid would tell her if she did.  He told her that "other families are much kinder about our needs"  LOL.  Um, yeah, okay.  

I'm just wondering if, maybe, there might be an issue with that kid wanting to branch our a bit.  Maybe even rebel, food-wise?

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Never met a vegan like that

rockinmomto2
by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 1:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm a vegetarian. The rest of my family isn't. Some nights we have meatless dinners, but a lot of the time, I make myself something different from everyone else. It's not my choice to make regarding what other people eat or serve in their home.

ninjakids
by Christina on Sep. 15, 2013 at 1:53 PM
My sons godmother and her son are vegetarians (she was a vegan.. But where we like there is a serious lack of vegan substitutes).

She is nothing like that & will even order my.son chicken nuggets if they all go out.

I babysat her son and said id order a separate pizza for him (we get combination with added bacon) and she just said to get him fries (because it would be cheaper).

I have had run in with crazy vegans though, i had one shoot off because i wore a epic meal time tee that had bacon strips repeatedly wrote on it
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 15, 2013 at 1:54 PM
3 moms liked this

Meat Nazi's-woohoo (sarcasm)

Umm-I get "meat is murder",but guess what,so was your lettuce,so unless you live on nothing but man made chemical food-ALL food was living at some point. Just cuz you didn't hear the silent cries of your romaine lettuce doesn't mean it wasn't murder. (rolls eyes)

Extreme Vegans drive me crazy. Here's a glass of water,now leave me alone while I eat some tasty meat.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 15, 2013 at 1:55 PM

I do not do that at all and I am an vegetarian. I have al ot of family and friends that eat meat. Even my kids eat chicken and fish occasionally. and we would never ever, say to someone that they are murderers, or meat is murder. nor would I freak if my kids had meat at someone else's house.  No way! most vegetarians are not like that.

JealousGrrl
by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 1:55 PM
I'm a vegetarian but dd, who is 2, and dh are not. I make him steak when he wants it and he always has spaghetti sauce, made with meat, on hand. I don't like to force my beliefs on others. When it's just dd and me at home I make vegetarian dishes because I'm not going to cook 2 different things. lol. I would never give someone a hard time for giving dd meat.
balagan_imma
by Gold Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 1:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm a vegetarian. We eat mainly vegetarian in our house, and we keep kosher. My kids know about the real world, and we have even participated in the kosher slaughter of the meat that DH and the kids eat. Our non-kosher keeping friends always make sure that our kids have non-meat foods to eat. And everyone is happy.

I think it's utterly absurd that someone pitches a fit because their kids sees someone else eating meat. It's the real world. Not like they were taunting the child or forcing her to eat meat.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN