Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm cooking bacon, not meth. Your kid can't get a contact high from my meat. *an edit for clarity ;-)

Posted by   + Show Post

Last night, one of DD's friends slept over.  Her family is vegan/vegetarian (mom is the strict one).  I served the kids homemade mac and cheese last night and broccoli steamed with butter and they ate chcolate ice cream after that.  (I think they may have eaten two liters, I don't even want to know for sure.)  This morning I made cinnamon pancakes and bacon.  DD's friend gobbled up a ton of pancakes and had me recite the recipe so she could write it down for her mom.  LOL, I didn't tell her, but I know her mom would rather gouge out her own eyes than make pancakes.  But the kid seemed happy, mom came and got her, ate a pancake while she was here and hung out for a bit.  She knows we eat meat and that we often serve meat when her DD is over, but that I always go out of my way to make sure her DD has a nice, meatless choice.  

So, just now, a friend rings me up and tells me that her DD had a friend over last night too.  Same deal, family is vegetarian.  But she tells me that the parents came to pick up the kid and they flipped out when they heard from their DD that the family had served sausages and eggs for breakfast.  Their DD had fruit and cereal and eggs.  No one even offered her meat.  The dad told her that he thought is was very rude and inconsiderate of her to eat meat in front of their kid.  I understand the "meat is murder" thing even came up.  I told my friend our vegan/vegetrians don't act like that.  

So, if you're vegan or vegetarian, do you have an issue with your kids being "exposed" to meat eaters and their "kill"?  LOL.  I'm thinking my friend just ran into some loonies.  I don't think that's the normal behavior for most non meat-eaters, but what the Hell do I know.  

*Just FYI:  The kids in both houses were/are vegetarians, not vegans, therefore, the eggs and ice cream were perfectly acceptable.  I know the difference between a vegan and a vegetarian.  ;-)

by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 1:30 PM
Replies (31-40):
justahousewife
by Silver Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 1:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Maybe they're actually recovering meataholics and the sight of meat makes them jump off the bandwagon? 

crumpy_gat
by No. on Sep. 15, 2013 at 1:56 PM
Lol ridiculous
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 15, 2013 at 1:56 PM
Not all vegetarians are that way because they choose to be. I'm 7th day Adventist and mostn7th day Adventists are vegis...educate yourself before you open your mouth. You sound like an idiot.
alc4evermom
by Silver Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Digestion starts with smell

momto2boys973
by Ruby Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 1:57 PM
That's overkill, IMHO. I keep kosher and when we go to my mom's house, for example, we take our own food. Everyone else eats their non-kosher meals, my kids understand perfectly what they can and cannot eat and it's not such a big deal.
slashteddy
by Platinum Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 1:57 PM
DH is a vegetarian. He's laid-back about it. He doesn't give a shit what's served and to whom, and if his plate accidentally has a piece of meat on it, he just picks it out and sets it on my plate.
bloomsr
by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 1:58 PM
1 mom liked this
That's ludicrous!!! I was a vegan for years and never got upset about people eating animal products. As long as they didn't criticize me for my dietary choice, I didn't comment on theirs. It is very unreasonable to assume people will remove something from their home bc a guest doesn't agree with it.
OneToughMami
by Ruby Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 1:58 PM

My mom eats beef in front of me all the time. I have survived childhood

P.V.Hawkwind
by Ruby Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 1:59 PM

I use to be a vegetarian and I didn't care if people ate meat around me. Most of my friends don't care if you eat meat around them. 

LadyIQ
by Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 1:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Hilarious...she really needs to keep her little plastic bubble at home. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured