Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm cooking bacon, not meth. Your kid can't get a contact high from my meat. *an edit for clarity ;-)

Posted by   + Show Post

Last night, one of DD's friends slept over.  Her family is vegan/vegetarian (mom is the strict one).  I served the kids homemade mac and cheese last night and broccoli steamed with butter and they ate chcolate ice cream after that.  (I think they may have eaten two liters, I don't even want to know for sure.)  This morning I made cinnamon pancakes and bacon.  DD's friend gobbled up a ton of pancakes and had me recite the recipe so she could write it down for her mom.  LOL, I didn't tell her, but I know her mom would rather gouge out her own eyes than make pancakes.  But the kid seemed happy, mom came and got her, ate a pancake while she was here and hung out for a bit.  She knows we eat meat and that we often serve meat when her DD is over, but that I always go out of my way to make sure her DD has a nice, meatless choice.  

So, just now, a friend rings me up and tells me that her DD had a friend over last night too.  Same deal, family is vegetarian.  But she tells me that the parents came to pick up the kid and they flipped out when they heard from their DD that the family had served sausages and eggs for breakfast.  Their DD had fruit and cereal and eggs.  No one even offered her meat.  The dad told her that he thought is was very rude and inconsiderate of her to eat meat in front of their kid.  I understand the "meat is murder" thing even came up.  I told my friend our vegan/vegetrians don't act like that.  

So, if you're vegan or vegetarian, do you have an issue with your kids being "exposed" to meat eaters and their "kill"?  LOL.  I'm thinking my friend just ran into some loonies.  I don't think that's the normal behavior for most non meat-eaters, but what the Hell do I know.  

*Just FYI:  The kids in both houses were/are vegetarians, not vegans, therefore, the eggs and ice cream were perfectly acceptable.  I know the difference between a vegan and a vegetarian.  ;-)

by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 1:30 PM
Replies (391-395):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 49 on Sep. 17, 2013 at 3:52 AM
1 mom liked this

lol. you can't distinguish the difference between an animal and a person? holy fucking cow.

Quoting Goddesswillow:

I would rather people not eat meat around me and my family because i view all life as sacred, to me an animal being killed for any reason other than self defense is the same to me as a human being killed for any reason other than self defense. i dont view one life as more important than the other. But I'm not going to freak out if someone eats meat around me, and as long as no one offers my kid any i wont have a problem with them being around others who eat meat. Honestly I think depending on somones views on meat eating, not all give up meat for the same reason, it is more repsectful not to eat meat around them. But at the same time it is repectful not to tell someone they cant eat something around you

Goddesswillow
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 1:49 PM
1 mom liked this

wow, your arrogant, stupid and have a holier than thou personality, thinking all life is sacred and no life in not more important than another is not the same thing as not knowing the difference between an animal and a person. Oh and by the way humans are animals

Quoting Anonymous:

lol. you can't distinguish the difference between an animal and a person? holy fucking cow.

Quoting Goddesswillow:

I would rather people not eat meat around me and my family because i view all life as sacred, to me an animal being killed for any reason other than self defense is the same to me as a human being killed for any reason other than self defense. i dont view one life as more important than the other. But I'm not going to freak out if someone eats meat around me, and as long as no one offers my kid any i wont have a problem with them being around others who eat meat. Honestly I think depending on somones views on meat eating, not all give up meat for the same reason, it is more repsectful not to eat meat around them. But at the same time it is repectful not to tell someone they cant eat something around you

Koreejean
by Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 3:06 PM

I am a vegetarian and i belive that it is my choice to be such and it is anyone choice to not be. I come from a  family of meat eaters, in fact i am the sole vegetarian, i have never made a big deal about meat being around and while  my kids do eat meat occasional  they tend to chose other non meat food items.But i do not care if people have meat around, especially if they also have a non meat choice as well.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 48 on Sep. 17, 2013 at 3:09 PM
1 mom liked this

This was about 4 years ago and i knew her artist. We actually bought her a set of ink in exchange for a couple of our tats so we knew what she was using. I'm glad to hear there are other options though, it made me sad when another friend of ours had to change her colors around because of an allergy.

Quoting sha_lyn68:

Quoting Anonymous:

I had one friend who was vegan... she would not eat with us or hang out if I was cooking but she never made a big deal about it... she just politely left before time to cook dinner. We did have a funny one day though. DH and I are both tattooed. We love our art! This friend came over one afternoon and was all excited about this pretty tat she just got on her calf. It was a tree with the word "vegan" in red below it. I wasn't going to say anything but DH is not so tactful... she came unglued when he informed her that red tattoo ink is made from shellfish!

The black ink typically has bone charcoal in it too. I think many artists are getting away from the shellfish based red however due to allergies. Then again it might just have beetles in it instead. I'll have to look into that.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 50 on Sep. 18, 2013 at 12:31 AM
1 mom liked this

I have had a couple of friends that were vegetarian/vegan growing up. One of them had never had anything that was animal product before and I was drinking milk while we were eating pretzels. He actually asked me for a drink of my milk! I (kind of reluctantly) gave him a drink and he LOVED it. After that day, he still didn't eat meat, but he wasn't a vegan anymore. My other friend would moo or cluck and I would look at her and tell her that I already knew what I was eating and the sound they made. It made her mad when I would pretend that I was reading a letter from a cow or pig or chicken asking her to please stop eating all of their food and remind her of the fact that humans are, typically, omnivores. Lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)