Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm cooking bacon, not meth. Your kid can't get a contact high from my meat. *an edit for clarity ;-)

Posted by   + Show Post

Last night, one of DD's friends slept over.  Her family is vegan/vegetarian (mom is the strict one).  I served the kids homemade mac and cheese last night and broccoli steamed with butter and they ate chcolate ice cream after that.  (I think they may have eaten two liters, I don't even want to know for sure.)  This morning I made cinnamon pancakes and bacon.  DD's friend gobbled up a ton of pancakes and had me recite the recipe so she could write it down for her mom.  LOL, I didn't tell her, but I know her mom would rather gouge out her own eyes than make pancakes.  But the kid seemed happy, mom came and got her, ate a pancake while she was here and hung out for a bit.  She knows we eat meat and that we often serve meat when her DD is over, but that I always go out of my way to make sure her DD has a nice, meatless choice.  

So, just now, a friend rings me up and tells me that her DD had a friend over last night too.  Same deal, family is vegetarian.  But she tells me that the parents came to pick up the kid and they flipped out when they heard from their DD that the family had served sausages and eggs for breakfast.  Their DD had fruit and cereal and eggs.  No one even offered her meat.  The dad told her that he thought is was very rude and inconsiderate of her to eat meat in front of their kid.  I understand the "meat is murder" thing even came up.  I told my friend our vegan/vegetrians don't act like that.  

So, if you're vegan or vegetarian, do you have an issue with your kids being "exposed" to meat eaters and their "kill"?  LOL.  I'm thinking my friend just ran into some loonies.  I don't think that's the normal behavior for most non meat-eaters, but what the Hell do I know.  

*Just FYI:  The kids in both houses were/are vegetarians, not vegans, therefore, the eggs and ice cream were perfectly acceptable.  I know the difference between a vegan and a vegetarian.  ;-)

by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 1:30 PM
Replies (41-50):
Isabelles_mommy
by Bronze Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 2:00 PM

People can be rude like that in may other ways. I've had people from my church who wouldn't come over to our house after they learned that the women of my household wear jeans. We decided that church wasn't for us and moved to one that was. 

But every family is different and whats works for mine, may not work for yours. I've taught my daughter that over and over again. We choose to homeschool, have religion, and may other different things then ppl we know. We don't look at them as bad or look down on anyone, it's just every family does things differently. 

I think those vegan ppl who have issues with others eating meat, need to relook at themselves and understand that ppl r ppl, no matter what they do or where they are in their lives. Lifes to short to nickpick about everything. 

Chunkymunkey922
by Platinum Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 2:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like they need to just keep their dd home. If they are that picky then they need to host the sleep overs.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Sep. 15, 2013 at 2:01 PM

How did they eat pancakes if they are vegan? And ice cream? 

bcoll
by Brandi on Sep. 15, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Honestly I have never (to my knowledge) met a vegan/vegetarian. Here's a bump though.

I thought vegans didn't eat any animal products. Wouldn't that include milk/eggs and such?

LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Sep. 15, 2013 at 2:03 PM
2 moms liked this
My sister did that, she would get pissy (to the point of telling people what they can eat in their own home when she was there) about it. I told her if she didnt want to see us eat meat, she can stop inviting herself over for supper
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Sep. 15, 2013 at 2:04 PM
1 mom liked this

No, there is nothing wrong with that. She just ran into some loony vegan/vegetarians.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Sep. 15, 2013 at 2:05 PM

I used to babysit a girl who came from a vegan family.  Then when she was in 6th grade I worked at the school she went to.  I didn't spend much time in the lunch room but one day I saw her eating a hot dog that another girl had given to her.  As I was leaving the lunch room I said hi to her and she quickly threw that hot dog under the table and pretended like there was nothing in her mouth.  Before she saw me she was clearly enjoying the hot dog.  I guess she was afraid I would tell her parents or she was embarrassed that she was eating a hot dog when she was supposed to be vegan.  I don't know, I didn't want to make it more awkward for her so I just wished her a good day and went on my way.  I felt bad for her that she wanted to make her own food choices but was afraid or maybe embarrassed.  And I hoped that she wouldn't get sick if she wasn't used to eating hotdogs.  

At what age (if any) do vegans and vegetarians let their kids choose if they will eat meat or not?

sha_lyn68
by Platinum Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 2:06 PM

I think your friends just rean into some loonies. I've had a couple of friends like that. We all respected their choice in their home but thoguht it was ridiculous when they started asking that any event they were invited to be meat free. Honestly I think it was just the wife that was so insistent and he went along to keep her happy. I do in a way understand why she got that bad because onetime the date of a friend insisted that her dish was vegetarian (claimed she was a vegetarian). Turned out the be tuna & rice casserole and the person that bought it couldn't understand why the "real" vegetarians wouldn't eat fish.

ChandraSeay
by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 2:06 PM
1 mom liked this
My kids actually eat meat even though I am vegan. I let them eat what they want within reason.
Sister_Someone
by Rachel on Sep. 15, 2013 at 2:07 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm not a vegetarian, but I do have other unconventional life choices. I wouldn't have any problems with my son being exposed to something we don't do in our home in the way you did with your friend's daughter.

I only have a problem when people pushe something they know I don't do or believe in on my son, and/or claim that their way is right and mine is wrong
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)