Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Applicants for my Rental Home- Rant

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 149 Replies
1 mom liked this

WHY do people not read the ad in its entirety and only respond if appropriate?

If the ad says no pets, then NO, your pet is not an exclusion. 

If the ad says $1,000 per month, don't waste my time by responding and then tell me that you can only pay $700 per month.  You are out of your price range. 

If the ad says a certain amount of income is required, normally 3 times the monthly rental amount (or 4 times rent if you have a lot of debt), do not assume that this does not apply to you. 

If the ad says 1200 square feet, NO, you and your brother and 19 other people cannot move in.

No criminal history means NO criminal history.  Your little robbery a couple years back is not ok.

If the ad says good credit, and you are in massive debt, behind on payments and being evicted, no, I'm not advertising to you. 

I go through all this every single time.  Fortunately, I now weed them out by email instead of wasting a bunch of my time running around.  Much better.  But still.   

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 15, 2013 at 2:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MountieMama
by Gold Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 2:11 PM
Life of a landlord.
MDWife12
by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 2:11 PM

lol I completely understand! I always get a kick out of when people try and hide a felony or misdemeanor on their application and it comes up during the screening that they do infact have a criminal background! AH!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 15, 2013 at 2:13 PM

I know.  People are SO STUPID.  I can't even imagine calling someplace and saying...OH, I can only pay $750.  Why even call?  My guess is these people are always trying to work their angles.  Losers.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 15, 2013 at 2:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, like we aren't going to find out!  YES...we will find out and then no one will rent to you.  We talk.  BE HONEST.

Quoting MDWife12:

lol I completely understand! I always get a kick out of when people try and hide a felony or misdemeanor on their application and it comes up during the screening that they do infact have a criminal background! AH!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 15, 2013 at 2:19 PM

I just received that response...and she also had pets, so two strikes (can't afford the rental + pets in a no-pet residence). 

But it's ok in her case, she contended, because she works in a pet care facility and knows how to take care of them.  So my rule does not apply to her (tenant logic). 

Quoting Anonymous:

I know.  People are SO STUPID.  I can't even imagine calling someplace and saying...OH, I can only pay $750.  Why even call?  My guess is these people are always trying to work their angles.  Losers.

RoxStetz
by Gold Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 2:20 PM

LOL this made me laugh.  It's true, everyone thinks that they are the exception to the rule.  It's aggravating!! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 15, 2013 at 2:22 PM

It reminds me of when I advertised for a babysitter, and the ad said NON SMOKING.  I had 3 applicants show up for the interview, 2 of them were smoking when I answered the door,  and the other one actually smoked in our bathroom after the interview!!!!!!  Who does that????

caito
by Ruby Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 2:24 PM
2 moms liked this

Yeah, we just got approved for our new place and I was SOOOOOOO nervous about it. I have to remind myself that my husband and I are doing quite well compared to most other applicants. Our only sore spot is our credit, we never did build any and we're just now getting some by paying for our car. We were denied a rental last year because of our nonexistent credit.

I don't know why people think they're the exception. We're absolutely meticulous during every phase of the process. We would never try to pay less than the listed rent, we fill out every part of the application, we never try to bend the rules...why can't more people be like us?

justahousewife
by Silver Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 2:25 PM

I imagine finding a good tenant is like finding a good employee. Damn near impossible.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 15, 2013 at 2:26 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL.

Well, they must have reinterpreted "non-smoking" to mean "does not smoke in the child's face directly".

Ridiculous.  I wouldn't even let them in the door if they smelled like smoke.  Like you can't tell.

I have a tradesman who works for me off and on, who has tried to quit smoking for a long time.  He's one of these guys who always smokes away from people and then pops a mint, and tries to be very considerate.

Well, he finally quit.  I had him to one of my properties a week or so ago, and I said, as soon as he walked in, "OH great!  You did quit smoking, didn't you? (We've talked about how hard it was for him)."  He said, "How did you know so fast? "  

I said because nonsmokers ALWAYS know if you EVER smoke, not just if you are smoking right now or did 10 minutes ago.  Anyway, I was happy for him.

Quoting Anonymous:

It reminds me of when I advertised for a babysitter, and the ad said NON SMOKING.  I had 3 applicants show up for the interview, 2 of them were smoking when I answered the door,  and the other one actually smoked in our bathroom after the interview!!!!!!  Who does that????

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured