Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Does your house really have to be clean for CPS?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 154 Replies
I've never had any encounters with them nor do I intend to but every time CPS in mentioned there are 500 people saying "make sure your house is clean". Does that really matter? My house isn't as clean as I would like it to be but it's by no means filthy or hoarder status! What does clean really mean to them? I've also heard to ensure milk is in the fridge. Nobody ever runs out??? I buy 2-3 gallons a week and sometimes still run out before I get back to the store. I could possibly go 24 hours without it (gasp) are all of these things true?
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 16, 2013 at 2:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 16, 2013 at 2:12 AM
1 mom liked this

I've wondered this too. I keep reading they don't take kids away for a dirty house so does that mean if its not clean they keep the case open until it is? And the food, I think they would know if you were about to go shopping verse never having food in the house. What about women who go to the market everyday and only buy two or so days of food before going again? I think in the end they should be trained well enough to know when something isn't right and to take children. I find it strange a lot of perfectly fine families lose their children over nothing.

Punchyobuns
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 2:13 AM

They won't take your kids away for a messy house, but it certainly won't make a good impression to have a messy house.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 16, 2013 at 2:14 AM

CPS has visited my sisters home on several occasions, where dog feces is all about, cleaning supplies are on the floor but never used. Kids bedroom is urine soaked and even evidence of the kids being tied in their rooms. Fridge only had milk and lunch was Cheetos. The bathroom sink was the litter box for the cats and the house was well you can imagine. And they didn't take the kids just warned her to clean it and they would be back. 

thefiregoddess
by MotherDucker on Sep. 16, 2013 at 2:14 AM
Yes. If it's not they consider it neglect.
PEEK05
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 2:15 AM

I have no idea.  I keep my house clean so I haven't ever thought about it.  Also, we don't drink milk so they would be tough out of luck on that one.

SommerRayne06
by Silver Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 2:15 AM
A certain level of clean is what they are looking for. A days dirty dishes is okay. Several days, not okay. Some dirty laundry, okay, a weeks worth, not okay. A few toys scattered around the living room is okay, but if you can't walk through the living room, that is a different story. I had cps come to my house once and I had a couch stacked in clean laundry that needed to be folded and put away and some dirty dishes, and barely any groceries and they didn't say anything. They also knew I was working 2 jobs so they understood.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 16, 2013 at 2:16 AM
Quoting Anonymous:

CPS has visited my sisters home on several occasions, where dog feces is all about, cleaning supplies are on the floor but never used. Kids bedroom is urine soaked and even evidence of the kids being tied in their rooms. Fridge only had milk and lunch was Cheetos. The bathroom sink was the litter box for the cats and the house was well you can imagine. And they didn't take the kids just warned her to clean it and they would be back. 

Omg. How sad for those babies.
mrs.ramirez
by Gold Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 2:16 AM
2 moms liked this

There is a difference between messy and inhabitable/unsanitary/dangerous. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Sep. 16, 2013 at 2:17 AM
6 moms liked this

Your house should be clean for the sake of being clean. 

PinkOwlStuffy
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 2:17 AM

I've never heard of the milk thing. I mean, if your children were all older and none of them liked it? I only buy milk now because DD is little and drinks it..but before DD came along, we could go months with no milk in the house, as everyone else is allergic and I just hate the taste of it..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)