Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you accompany your adult child to his or her job interview?

Posted by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:17 AM
  • 310 Replies

Adult 'Children' Who Bring Their Parents to Job Interviews Need to Grow Up

by Lisa Fogarty

job interviewRemember when you turned 18 and the delicious promise of a life unchained from the shackles of your parents was all you could think about? Or maybe your independent streak didn't strike until you graduated college and bought your first Ann Taylor business suit, which you wore once and only once on that job interview where you lied about your Excel skills? 

Now imagine your mom or dad had accompanied you to your interview. And then, a year later, sat in at your professional review as you sheepishly tried to negotiate your salary up from pennies to quarters. Sound like the stuff of adolescent nightmares? 

Not in this day and age of helicopter parenting

Some big employers are actually trying to appeal to their working Millennials' strong parental bonds by inviting moms and dads to interviews and salary negotiations and even sending cute notes home when their young workers achieve their sales goals.

Yep, sort of like report cards. 

Companies like Northwestern Mutual claim that involving parents has become a common best practice that boosts morale among workers in their early 20s up to their (get this) early 30s

To make matters even more sad, the sending home of progress reports to mommy and daddy actually works. According to Northwestern Mutual, more interns are meeting their sales goals than ever before because of these practices. 

Okay, so first of all: a 22-year-old is not a child and a 30-year-old is -- no room for debate here -- definitely not a child. The fact that so many Millennials have been coddled to the point where they can't venture out into the work world without looking back over their shoulder to see if mom is smiling is depressing. 

If I were to receive a letter from my daughter's employer asking me to sit in on her interview, I would respectfully decline. Then I would hope like hell my daughter doesn't absorb from this message that she is not fully her own woman and is being thought of as incapable of making her own decisions and holding her own as a professional.

Young adults are going to make mistakes. And they should perspire slightly before walking into an office -- alone -- to negotiate their salary. But at the end of the day, when they realize they've held their own before their boss and are solely responsible for improving their careers, the confidence and strength they'll gain is well worth the anxiety and few minutes of discomfort they'll experience.

Would you accompany your child to his or her job interview?

by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bunnywzrd
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:25 AM
2 moms liked this

That is so wrong. I have anxiety problems and have had my mom come with me but stay in the car. It helps keep me calm until I get there. I would never have her actually go in with me to the interview though. I am 30 years old.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:26 AM
No, I wouldn't.
notjstasocermom
by Emerald Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:28 AM

nope.

bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:28 AM
6 moms liked this
Ummm no. By 16 I expect them to be adult like and by 18 I expect them to be able to use their adult skills.

This mommy don't coddle.
imakehimscream
by He screams on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:29 AM
Lol no
Msgme
by Silver Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:30 AM
2 moms liked this

The closest i would come to going with them would be to meet them afterwards for some coffee or lunch or something.  And probably only their first "big" interview.   I coule never imagine my kids wanting me at the interview  lol

momma-flynn
by Gold Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:30 AM
14 moms liked this
I recently read an article about this & discussed it with my hiring managers. Our decision was that we would not hire anyone who brings a parent to their interview. If they can't handle the interview alone, then they can't handle the job either.
DanaG70
by Platinum Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:30 AM
1 mom liked this

I won't even go with my 16 year old, why would I go with my adult child?

romalove
by SakePrincess on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:30 AM
2 moms liked this

Good grief I don't know that I want to continue on in a world where this is even a question.

AvengedMommy101
by Silver Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:31 AM

No. I'd hope my adult children could be adults and do shit themselves.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)