Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

When did you teach your kids to tie their shoes?

Posted by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 12:07 PM
  • 58 Replies
My son will be 8 in March and he still doesn't know how to tie his shoes.
We have tried several times to teach him but he gets mad and shuts down and refuses to even look. He doesn't want to learn. He doesn't care.

My husband is determined he is going to learn this week though. But how?

Also bike riding? My husband took his training wheels off a few months ago when one broke and since then ds will have nothing to do with the bike. He won't try riding it. Not even sit on it. We go camping in two weekends and dh really wants the kids to bring their bikes to ride. Since we are camping with our cub scout troop and all the boys are bringing their bikes. He doesn't want ds left out simply because he is scared to fall down

I need some serious help and advice here ladies. Dh made a deal with ds that for this week no one plays the games or computer instead we will be spending more time outside .
And in case anyone wonders why ds doesn't want to learn, the only thing I can think of is he has ADHD combined type and ODD and maybe he just doesn't like change he has also done physical therapy in the past because his hand eye isn't the best and he has weak muscles in his arms and hands

But he's much better after a few months of therapy. I'm wondering if he isn't just the laziest dang kid alive
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 12:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Brugger
by Silver Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 12:09 PM

DS is 5 and learned last week to tie his shoes. It's a way that I've never seen before, there are NO bunnies involved. There's a video somewhere his dad used to teach him (apparently it's so easy for kids to learn that way and DS is left handed and I didn't know if that would make it harder for him to learn...and this way it doesn't matter. Figure he can get into the more 'advanced' tying later on)

babyspots17
by Gold Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 12:11 PM

My son is 7 I began teaching him at 4 and he still can't figure it out he has no cooridination or real ambition to learn how.  My know 4yr old almost has it mastered.

.Milfshake.
by SoNastySoRude on Sep. 16, 2013 at 12:16 PM

dandylynes
by Platinum Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Mine had it mastered just before her 5th birthday (at the end of preschool).

Mrs.Brugger
by Silver Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 12:16 PM
1 mom liked this

the video is on FB. idk how to share it on here. I can't find it on youtube. ahh. 

either way, youtube how to tie shoes. there's a few different ways to do it. I just found another way that takes like half a second lol.

Quoting Mrs.Brugger:

DS is 5 and learned last week to tie his shoes. It's a way that I've never seen before, there are NO bunnies involved. There's a video somewhere his dad used to teach him (apparently it's so easy for kids to learn that way and DS is left handed and I didn't know if that would make it harder for him to learn...and this way it doesn't matter. Figure he can get into the more 'advanced' tying later on)

AvengedMommy101
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 12:16 PM

DD learned at 5.

MIA0223
by Emerald Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 12:17 PM
She is 5 and we have been practicing for months now
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PandTsmomjuly
by Florence on Sep. 16, 2013 at 12:18 PM

I'm working with my 3 year old now but she doesn't have the coordination. Definately by kindergarten.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 16, 2013 at 12:18 PM

My son has ODD/ADHD he learned to ride a bike at 6 and tie his shoes at four. All of our kids were four when they learned to tie shoes. Just refuse to do it for him anymore and refuse to allow him to go anywhere with untied shoes he will learn. As for the bike riding tell him no electronics until he learns.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 16, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Both of mine learned before Kinder.  I purchased THIS book, and they learned pretty quickly.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN