Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Your stupidest injury ever?

Posted by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 3:57 PM
  • 265 Replies

So, a post I read in another group reminded me of the time when I broke both legs within three days of one another and both required surgery, and I'm sick and bored so it got me thinking. 

What is your stupidest ever injury? Something that happened exclusively due to your own klutziness (if that's even a word)?

Mine is, as I already mentioned, both broken legs. It was during college, I believe senior year. It was rainy that day, and wet, so I slipped on the stairs, landed with my right knee on concrete and broke my tibia tubercle (that's the part of the tibial bone right under your knee cap, you should feel its ridge under your fingers when your leg is bent). I smashed it into pieces, had to get surgery and two pins to keep it in place. I also got to take home crutches and one of those knee braces from hell to keep my leg straight. 

Some three days after, when I was still learning to navigate crutches and a dead weight leg (wasn't supposed to be bearing weight on it yet, only lean for balance), I was waddling around my apartment to get something to eat and bumped my left foot, the good one, into something. I think it was a cupboard or a door frame, something, I don't remember. The result? Broken big toe. That's another surgery, one more pin and a walking boot right there for this gal. 

So, I ended up with one leg I can't bend, one that can only bear weight on the heel and crutches I barely had enough upper body strength to navigate, for SEVEN WEEKS. My friends had one hell of a field day with that one.

by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 3:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TemptingFate
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 4:01 PM
I got drunk, sneezed 5 times in a row, and fell out of my chair with the last sneeze. Tore up my hand. Promptly forgot. Spent the next 3hrs asking everyone why my hand hurt.
macbudsmom
by Ruby Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 4:04 PM
Pre Kids - Out drinking woke up in the er the next morning with 15 stitches in my knee... Have no idea what happened.

Post Kids - Christmas helping my son get his new lego set out... Held a plastic bag of legos in my left hand then poked the bag with a butter knife to open it... Knife went through the bag and the serrated edge sliced upon the side of my pointer finger... 3 stitches.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
davnrori
by Platinum Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 4:05 PM

5 weeks ago I broke my tail bone while mopping the floor. I mop barefoot because I don't want dirty shoes on a clean floor and I don't want to end up with soaking wet socks. Anyway, I was gripping the mop with both hands, and used 1 foot to step on the mop so I could scrub extra hard on a spot. Well, my foot on the mop slipped and, because I was standing on wet floor, my other foot flew out from under me. I didn't have the time or presence of mind to let go of the mop so I didn't break my fall At All. I landed directly on my coccyx and fractured it.

My husband is deployed and the kids were sleeping at the time (it was after 9pm). I laid on the soaking wet floor crying from pain for 20 minutes until I forced myself to get up. I spent the next day getting x-rays, being told of the fracture, and being given a donut and Tylenol 3s. There was nothing else they could do.

Stupidest injury EVER! (Also, mopping is dangerous, lol)

Fairegirl33
by Gold Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 4:05 PM
1 mom liked this

One time when I was drunk... I chased my husband down our driveway and fell down and broke my hand LOL

skittlefart
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 4:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I swallowed a piece of metal because my sisters stupid can opener that's suppose to be "more safe" cut a part of the lid from my spaghettios into the soup. I mistook the metal piece for a meatball....-_-

photo greynick1_zps45adaa8c.jpg
Freela
by Platinum Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 4:07 PM

In high school I was sitting in the library during a free period with my feet folded up underneath me.  My feet went to sleep, and when I got up they wouldn't support me and I went over on my ankle.  I let out an ear-piercing shriek in the library, ended up on crutches for a couple of weeks with sprained ligaments in my ankle.  The doctor asked if it was a sports injury, and I had to say I got it getting out of a chair! LOL!

Sister_Someone
by Rachel on Sep. 16, 2013 at 4:07 PM

I'm sorry, but I laughed so hard about this. I can see it happening in my head.

Quoting TemptingFate:

I got drunk, sneezed 5 times in a row, and fell out of my chair with the last sneeze. Tore up my hand. Promptly forgot. Spent the next 3hrs asking everyone why my hand hurt.

Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 4:08 PM
I've had a lot.

I ran into a brick wall at school and needed 4 stitches

I ran into a girl and broke my ankle

I fell off my top bunk and cut my eyelid open

I was and still am clumsy :-/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 4:09 PM
I did something similar! My foot fell asleep and I got up and fell down breaking my ankle.

Quoting Freela:

In high school I was sitting in the library during a free period with my feet folded up underneath me.  My feet went to sleep, and when I got up they wouldn't support me and I went over on my ankle.  I let out an ear-piercing shriek in the library, ended up on crutches for a couple of weeks with sprained ligaments in my ankle.  The doctor asked if it was a sports injury, and I had to say I got it getting out of a chair! LOL!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FoxFire363
by Ruby Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 4:09 PM

I stepped in a hole and wound up with a broken foot and a severely sprained ankle. It was awful. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)