Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

National Anthem and respect

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 208 Replies

This weekend we went to an outdoor event that is held every weekend. A lot of the same people are there every weekend. They do the National Anthem before the events start. Kids usually run about and play in the grassy area to the side. During the National Anthem all the children even some as young as 2 and 3 stop and place their hand over their heart and resume playing when the anthem is over. There is one girl around 10 who does not stop she runs around doing cartwheels and flips. She will go over to the stairs and do flips over the rails all during the National Anthem. It drives me crazy and I so bad want to tell her to learn some respect for her country but it is not my place. So do you teach your children proper etiquette for when the National Anthem is played at events or just let them do as they please?

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:41 PM
No, he will stand, remove his hat and stand quietly
kmorales7690
by Ruby Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:41 PM
5 moms liked this

My husband fought hard for the freedom that we have in this country, my kids will respect the national anthem. I would be annoyed by that child as well. 

alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:42 PM
8 moms liked this

So you are upset that she hasn't been conditioned well enough to stop and obey something she doesn't understand? 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

inspain
by Platinum Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:42 PM

You sure she's an American citizen?  

LadyVoldemort
by Pastafarian on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:42 PM
My dd is two. If she can't sit still I pick her up until it's over.
A ten year old needs to stand still. Idgaf about the hand over the heart but you do need to stand still.
Raeann11
by Ruby Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:43 PM

My children will stand there and wait till it is done.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:45 PM
A ten year old should be able to stop and show respect.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

So you are upset that she hasn't been conditioned well enough to stop and obey something she doesn't understand? 

squeekers
by Platinum Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I chastised a student during a memorial at DD's school, two years ago, for not standing in honor. She told me she was a jehovah and wasn't required to do so. I told her, her religion gave her the rights to not cover her heart, but she needed to at least be polite to those around her that were paying attention.

alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:45 PM
4 moms liked this

SaratheV
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:46 PM
7 moms liked this

Neither I nor my son will never put our hand over heart for the anthem or pledge. There's nothing about this country to respect. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured