Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My student has cancer.....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies

One of my student was diagnosed this weekend, and I have been in tears all day. We made cards, sent riddles and jokes, we will make a class newspaper so she can still know what is happening at school, we will be face-timing with her, and I will be providing lessons in the hospital when she is up for it. I was told the family doesn't need meals.

What else can we/I do for this sweet sick girl? What other kind of support would be helpful?

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:59 PM

bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:59 PM

I read on some blogs about gift boxes of stuff. Make sure if you send her anything it is not in violation of sanitary guidelines, and ask her parents what sorts of things they want her to have or ask her what she wants. I read a lot of kids get bored when they re not feeling too sick but still have to stay quarantined. Just ask her parents and check the hospital website for resources.

FoxFire363
by Ruby Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:03 PM
1 mom liked this
How old is she? When I was a child I was seriously injured and nearly died, the outpouring of support meant a lot to my family. I still have a teddy bear from the hospital stay, and I will be 30 this year. I would recommend a care package of age appropriate things to entertain her in the hospital. I was hospitalized for months, and it was very boring. Coloring books, crayons, puzzles, if she is older maybe magazines, crossword puzzles, harder jigsaw puzzles. Thank you for offering her your support. When you're a hospitalized child, it is wonderful to know people are thinking about you.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting FoxFire363:

How old is she? When I was a child I was seriously injured and nearly died, the outpouring of support meant a lot to my family. I still have a teddy bear from the hospital stay, and I will be 30 this year. I would recommend a care package of age appropriate things to entertain her in the hospital. I was hospitalized for months, and it was very boring. Coloring books, crayons, puzzles, if she is older maybe magazines, crossword puzzles, harder jigsaw puzzles. Thank you for offering her your support. When you're a hospitalized child, it is wonderful to know people are thinking about you.

Thanks for the idea! She is 9.

doodle books, puzzles, riddle books, joke books, coloring books, maybe sewing or knitting, travel games..... hmmm.... maybe I could get her into collecting stamps or something.

FoxFire363
by Ruby Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:27 PM
Those are all great ideas. They also have those scratch pads or etch pads, I forget exactly what they are called. They have them at Barnes and Noble. Basically there's a black layer over a multi-colored design and you scratch off the black layer. It looks fun for a kid that age. Maybe a "magic loom" bracelet maker thing? I was 5 when I was hospitalized. I was lucky that my hospital had a nice playroom, but I couldn't go every day. Things you can do in your bed and especially things you can do one handed (due to IV drips) are awesome.

Quoting Anonymous:
Quoting FoxFire363:How old is she? When I was a child I was seriously injured and nearly died, the outpouring of support meant a lot to my family. I still have a teddy bear from the hospital stay, and I will be 30 this year. I would recommend a care package of age appropriate things to entertain her in the hospital. I was hospitalized for months, and it was very boring. Coloring books, crayons, puzzles, if she is older maybe magazines, crossword puzzles, harder jigsaw puzzles. Thank you for offering her your support. When you're a hospitalized child, it is wonderful to know people are thinking about you.
Thanks for the idea! She is 9.doodle books, puzzles, riddle books, joke books, coloring books, maybe sewing or knitting, travel games..... hmmm.... maybe I could get her into collecting stamps or something.
TommyAbby
by Bronze Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Everything she has posted so far. When my son was diagnosed, he was in Preschool. The students and teacher would send hand made cards and (once made a huge banner with all of the kids' hand prints set wide apart so it looked like each child was sending a hug) so Tommy would have lots of colorful things to hangon his wall while in his room. 

I am sorry to hear about your student. It's a hard thing to deal with :(

Quoting FoxFire363:

Those are all great ideas. They also have those scratch pads or etch pads, I forget exactly what they are called. They have them at Barnes and Noble. Basically there's a black layer over a multi-colored design and you scratch off the black layer. It looks fun for a kid that age. Maybe a "magic loom" bracelet maker thing? I was 5 when I was hospitalized. I was lucky that my hospital had a nice playroom, but I couldn't go every day. Things you can do in your bed and especially things you can do one handed (due to IV drips) are awesome.

Quoting Anonymous:
Quoting FoxFire363:How old is she? When I was a child I was seriously injured and nearly died, the outpouring of support meant a lot to my family. I still have a teddy bear from the hospital stay, and I will be 30 this year. I would recommend a care package of age appropriate things to entertain her in the hospital. I was hospitalized for months, and it was very boring. Coloring books, crayons, puzzles, if she is older maybe magazines, crossword puzzles, harder jigsaw puzzles. Thank you for offering her your support. When you're a hospitalized child, it is wonderful to know people are thinking about you.
Thanks for the idea! She is 9.doodle books, puzzles, riddle books, joke books, coloring books, maybe sewing or knitting, travel games..... hmmm.... maybe I could get her into collecting stamps or something.

FoxFire363
by Ruby Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:48 PM
Yes! Something colorful to hang up in her room is a great idea. Hospital rooms are dreary and all look the same. It's nice to have some color and something to "individualize" your room. It's also a visual reminder that people care. I am sorry to hear about your son, I can't even imagine what getting that diagnosis must be like.

Quoting TommyAbby:

Everything she has posted so far. When my son was diagnosed, he was in Preschool. The students and teacher would send hand made cards and (once made a huge banner with all of the kids' hand prints set wide apart so it looked like each child was sending a hug) so Tommy would have lots of colorful things to hangon his wall while in his room. 

I am sorry to hear about your student. It's a hard thing to deal with :(

Quoting FoxFire363:

Quoting Anonymous:

TommyAbby
by Bronze Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:52 PM

He was diagnosed just after his 3rd birthday. He was considered cured as of July 5th of last year :) It was a long, hard road, but he is an amazing kid. 

Quoting FoxFire363:

Yes! Something colorful to hang up in her room is a great idea. Hospital rooms are dreary and all look the same. It's nice to have some color and something to "individualize" your room. It's also a visual reminder that people care. I am sorry to hear about your son, I can't even imagine what getting that diagnosis must be like. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:57 PM
Rainbow loom bracelet maker. Its a newer fad they have looms to make crocheting hats and things for kids easy too. Check michaels or ac moores.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:07 PM
Yay!!

Quoting TommyAbby:

He was diagnosed just after his 3rd birthday. He was considered cured as of July 5th of last year :) It was a long, hard road, but he is an amazing kid. 

Quoting FoxFire363:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)