Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

You WANT to be on Government Assistance???!!!

Posted by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:33 PM
  • 8 Replies
1 mom liked this

At the grocery store today and overheard a couple talking about government assistance.  The young lady "oh yeah, that's great!! and then we can get food stamps and all that other stuff! Then maybe we can save and go to Sea World for your birthday too!"  At first I thought she was being sarcastic but when I looked at her she was totally serious.  Why would you WANT to be on government assistance? I've been on it- I hated it! Aside from all the hoopes you have to jump through just to get any, you also have to reapply every six months.

Mostly it made me sad that someone's aspirations are to get assistance.  Sigh.

ok, I'm done. 

by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
yodergirl
by Bronze Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:38 PM
Sadly enough you can get more money bring on gov assistant than working. My husband makes $1200 a month and we have a (loose use of the word) friend living by himself and he gets $1,200 a month. For not working. and he totally could do something online or take a desk job.
vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Wow..that's a fucked up way of thinking. 

honeyrder
by Platinum Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:40 PM

No doubt. I haven't been on it myself, but I know people who have talked about being asked about what they got for their birthdays and shit like that. Means-assessment is straight-up dehumanizing, and I can't see why anyone would subject herself to it, no matter how bad off she was.

honeyrder
by Platinum Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Is he a convict by any chance?

Quoting yodergirl:

Sadly enough you can get more money bring on gov assistant than working. My husband makes $1200 a month and we have a (loose use of the word) friend living by himself and he gets $1,200 a month. For not working. and he totally could do something online or take a desk job.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:45 PM

It comes at the price of your pride. If thats something you don't care about ...why not?

CalicoMeezer
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:47 PM
I so agree. I hated having to have FS and Medicaid for dd (she still has CHiP but at least I pay copays and stuff; I don't feel "moochy"). We have that b/c dh is a state employee (as long as we meet income requirement for CHiP, they won't enroll dd in the private insurance).

I know it's there for a reason, and I'm glad for it for those who need it (like I did), but I'm glad to be rid of (most of) it, especially FS.
myempyreofdirt
by Platinum Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:49 PM
Good luck to her with that. The web of lies she'd have to spin to get enough assistance to afford sea world is massive. Getting a job would be less work.
yodergirl
by Bronze Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:50 PM
No not that I know of. He has a medical condition and says he can't work. But my uncle had the same and more severe form of it and he worked his whole life.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)