Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms who went to college :

Posted by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 11:02 PM
  • 7 Replies

I am in college studying occupational therapy and I have an 8mo son.  I was wondering if anyone had any tips on keeping organized and on top of things. Any tips would be great! please

by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 11:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Apgsteenmommy
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 11:03 PM

bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 16, 2013 at 11:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Laundry was my biggest challenge and to keep it under control, I'd pop a load in first thing in the AM before dressing or eating or anything, then by the time we were fed, dressed & ready to go, it'd be done and I'd toss the clothes in the dryer and/or hang what needed hung, then leave for the day. When I got home, I'd fold the clothes while dinner was cooking. Doing laundry every day this way kept me from ever getting behind and it piling up into an impossible task to finish on the weekends.

An "at-a-glance" calender was also my best friend. It had holes in it to fit in a 3-ring binder and plenty of room for me to write down everything such as appointments, assignments, tracking my monthly, due dates for bills, important phone #s, etc. Because it was all in one place and always at hand, I never forgot anything. I was also fond of using different colored ink pens for different items so that it was very easy to see at a glance what type of task was due that day.

HTH

momto1ryen
by Gold Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 11:13 PM
1 mom liked this
I would get up before dd to do some work. Then I made the most out of nap time. I would also go in early or stay a bit late to work on stuff. Never leave anything for the last minute.
FinchsMommy
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 12:23 AM
2 moms liked this
I work full-time, I'm in law school part time and have an 18 month old and a newborn(not sure how long they are technically newborns).

I rely heavily on a calendar and electronic tracking of due date assignments for school, work meetings, dr appointments and bill payment.

I created a google account just to have a family calendar of work stuff for my husband and family appointments, along with our nanny tracking any of his appointments. It's easy to check on my phone throughout the day to see what's coming up and scheduling time to work on it.

I'm also a task list or to-do list person. I create my list at the end of the previous week for the next week. This is available through apps on my iPhone which can sync with calendars or reminders. I can even email myself the list and import it I to my to-do app.

Laundry has been my biggest challenge. But I try to do a load a day to keep things from piling up too much. Also, I budgeted money for anything that requires ironing to be dry cleaned and it was cheaper to have them dry cleaned than my hourly cost of time to do it myself.

As for shopping, I go once a week. The list is on the fridge with a dry erase board. Items are added as they come up. I take a picture of it before I go to the store and shop off that list.

I will try to make meals in advance to be frozen in our deep freeze so all I have to do is warm it up in the oven and then dinner is served. This gives me more time with the kids. And saves on ordering out when I'm too tired or too busy to cook dinner.

And I'm a member of Amazon Mom and an amazon prime member so I have scheduled delivery of items like diapers, wipes, shampoo and conditioner, kids snacks, coffee k-cups for the keurig, etc. the I don't have to worry about shopping the sales and I always have the necessities.

Plus like others I utilize nap time for house hold chores. I don't do them all everyday. I have an alternating "goal" schedule for my to do list and try to accomplish those chores on certain days. If I run out of time. I skip that one for that day and do it the next time it's scheduled. An example is a deep clean of the bathroom. I may want to do this weekly but if time doesn't permit I'll do it every other week and just not beat myself up for not getting it done.
Apgsteenmommy
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 12:26 AM

thank you so much! you are extreamly organized. I need to start getting ontop of things! thannk you

Quoting FinchsMommy:

I work full-time, I'm in law school part time and have an 18 month old and a newborn(not sure how long they are technically newborns).

I rely heavily on a calendar and electronic tracking of due date assignments for school, work meetings, dr appointments and bill payment.

I created a google account just to have a family calendar of work stuff for my husband and family appointments, along with our nanny tracking any of his appointments. It's easy to check on my phone throughout the day to see what's coming up and scheduling time to work on it.

I'm also a task list or to-do list person. I create my list at the end of the previous week for the next week. This is available through apps on my iPhone which can sync with calendars or reminders. I can even email myself the list and import it I to my to-do app.

Laundry has been my biggest challenge. But I try to do a load a day to keep things from piling up too much. Also, I budgeted money for anything that requires ironing to be dry cleaned and it was cheaper to have them dry cleaned than my hourly cost of time to do it myself.

As for shopping, I go once a week. The list is on the fridge with a dry erase board. Items are added as they come up. I take a picture of it before I go to the store and shop off that list.

I will try to make meals in advance to be frozen in our deep freeze so all I have to do is warm it up in the oven and then dinner is served. This gives me more time with the kids. And saves on ordering out when I'm too tired or too busy to cook dinner.

And I'm a member of Amazon Mom and an amazon prime member so I have scheduled delivery of items like diapers, wipes, shampoo and conditioner, kids snacks, coffee k-cups for the keurig, etc. the I don't have to worry about shopping the sales and I always have the necessities.

Plus like others I utilize nap time for house hold chores. I don't do them all everyday. I have an alternating "goal" schedule for my to do list and try to accomplish those chores on certain days. If I run out of time. I skip that one for that day and do it the next time it's scheduled. An example is a deep clean of the bathroom. I may want to do this weekly but if time doesn't permit I'll do it every other week and just not beat myself up for not getting it done.

FinchsMommy
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 12:27 AM
1 mom liked this
You're welcome. :-)

I'm happy to share tips. As I know how hard it can be to get things done when your in school and have a little dude to take care of.
SweetCL
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 12:36 AM
1 mom liked this

My first baby was born six weeks before my Master's defense and my second baby was born a year before I finished my PhD.

Do your studying in the evenings when your son is asleep. I also did a lot of studying while nursing.

If you can afford it, hire sombody to clean once a week or every other week. That's what I did when I had two young children.

Prioritize and don't get upset if your house is not perfect. I always thought it better to have a good grade on an important test and a dirty house than the other way around.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)