Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

under god

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies
I work for a special needs public high school. Today I was subing in a more advanced room these kids are about 15-17 but they work on a 3rd grade level.
Today they were among on explaining what each part of The Pledge allegiance ment. I was shocked they actually did Under God's meaning. This is a public school. I believe in god but still its shocking. If you're wondering they said it ment our nation was blessed by god.
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 16, 2013 at 11:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 17, 2013 at 8:17 AM

My kids are in public school and they still use "under god" with the pledge. Doesn't bother DH and I (we're atheists) although we know the history of the real pledge.

AvengedMommy101
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 8:18 AM

All it takes is one parent to complain and that teachers getting her ass handed to her. That's why many places recite it differently now. Religious beliefs need to be kept out of education unless you pay to go to that type of school.

Maxi_Maxi
by Gold Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 8:18 AM
I don't find it shocking. Who polices this stuff, you know? Our school prays and is partners with our local church.
IandLoveandYou
by Penny Lane on Sep. 17, 2013 at 8:18 AM
Yeah. It's annoying.
Maxi_Maxi
by Gold Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 8:20 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't God added in the 50's?

Quoting Anonymous:

My kids are in public school and they still use "under god" with the pledge. Doesn't bother DH and I (we're atheists) although we know the history of the real pledge.

LoriLou75
by Ruby Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 8:20 AM
Did they go over the fact that "under god" wasn't in the original pledge? It was added out of fear of communism.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 17, 2013 at 8:20 AM

You're correct. 

Quoting Maxi_Maxi

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't God added in the 50's?

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 17, 2013 at 8:38 AM
No its a special needs school some of these kids are mentally 3rd grade at best but most are like much younger I'm not even sure how many of them really understood why we do the pledge at the end of the day.

Quoting LoriLou75:

Did they go over the fact that "under god" wasn't in the original pledge? It was added out of fear of communism.

momto2boys973
by Ruby Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 8:42 AM
It's part of the pledge, it means something, it's part of the lesson. It's not saying it actually means the nation's blessed by G-d and that everyone has to believe that. It's simply saying that when it was added, that was the idea.
When I was in school, I learned the origin of our national flag symbol (I live in Mexico) which relates to Aztec mythology. They weren't shoving Aztec religion down our throats, it was simply an explanation for the origin of that national symbol.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 17, 2013 at 8:43 AM
Yea so what's the problem?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN