Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Someone help please.

Posted by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 12:08 AM
  • 46 Replies
I am 8 weeks pregnant with my second and I feel sick alllll day long.

Constant nausea but rarely throwing up.

What can I do for my tummy? ):
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 12:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shadow_lark
by Gold Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 12:09 AM
Try ginger beer
Wake up in the middle of the night and eat a snack and then eat a snack before you even get up in the morning.
It also helped me to munch gold fish through the day
happymomma13
by Platinum Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 12:13 AM
Gold fish. Gold fish. I friggin LOVE Gold fish.

That's a good idea.

What is ginger beer? Ginger always helped my period cramps.

Quoting shadow_lark:

Try ginger beer

Wake up in the middle of the night and eat a snack and then eat a snack before you even get up in the morning.

svolkov
by Emerald Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 12:15 AM
Horehound candy! Ginger hard candies. I love essential oils. Mix mint and lavendar with a carrier oil.
shadow_lark
by Gold Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 12:16 AM
1 mom liked this
Strong ginger ale, but it actually has real ginger in it unlike the name brands like Canada dry and the other one.

I always got Reed's. It comes in a glass bottle. Sort of expensive, but well worth it. You can always brew your own ginger ale too. Just skin and chop a ginger root and boil until its gingery enough, add a little sugar if you want and then add it to sparkling water

Quoting happymomma13:

Gold fish. Gold fish. I friggin LOVE Gold fish.

That's a good idea.

What is ginger beer? Ginger always helped my period cramps.

Quoting shadow_lark:

Try ginger beer

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Sep. 17, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Nausea During Pregnancy (Morning Sickness During Pregnancy)

If only morning sickness during pregnancy was just relegated to the mornings! Here's some help for every woman coping with nausea during pregnancy, especially during early pregnancy.

Morning Sickness During Pregnancy — What It Is

That nauseous, queasy feeling in your stomach, which can sometimes lead to vomiting — so innaccurately dubbed morning sickness, because it can hit at any time of the day or night, especially in the first trimester of pregnancy.

Morning Sickness During Pregnancy — What Causes It

Some unknown combination of hormones, increased stress, and other body changes (such as a keener sense of smell, or that metallic taste during pregnancy) can seem to conspire against a pregnant woman, especially in the early months. Nausea during pregnancy could be caused by the increased level of the pregnancy hormones hCG and estrogen circulating in your body, or the relaxation of the muscles of the digestive tract (making digestion less efficient) due to rising progesterone levels, or the rapid stretching of the uterine muscles. Skipping meals and your pregnancy food aversions also can contribute to the empty and nauseous feeling.

Morning Sickness During Pregnancy — What You Need to Know

If you're among the majority of pregnant women who experience morning sickness, you already know the bad news: That while nausea during pregnancy often starts in the morning, it can stay with you 24/7, for weeks, or even months. The good news: For the vast majority of expectant moms, the worst of it is over by weeks 12 to 14. The better news: Nausea tends to be worse in first pregnancies; if you're planning a second round, odds are good you won't feel as sick. The best news of all: Morning sickness won't hurt your baby. In fact, women who do experience some nausea during pregnancy are significantly less likely to miscarry than women who don't experience any (though most women have healthy babies, whether or not they experience morning sickness).

Morning Sickness During Pregnancy — What You Can Do About It

• Follow the Pregnancy Diet. Concentrate on that dynamic duo, protein and complex carbs, which are good for keeping nausea at bay — especially when eaten in combo.
  • For now, stick to foods that appeal, even if it's the same foods over and over and over again. Avoid eating (or seeing, or smelling, or even thinking about) any dishes that trigger the queasies (spicy, fatty, and acidic foods may be particularly challenging, as well as anything with a strong aroma). Chances are you'll be able to find a few healthy foods that you can keep down (or at least contemplate coming fork-to-face with) — and that will take care of most of your nutritional requirements until a more varied diet becomes palatable. Don't worry too much about getting your Daily Dozen in the short term, since your baby (and his or her needs) is pretty tiny now. And remember, that no one food has a monopoly on any one nutrient — so if you turn green at the thought of anything green, get your vitamin fix from a sweet, juicy cantaloupe instead.
  • Be a grazer. Eat six to eight small meals throughout the day rather than three large squares — when your tummy's empty, the acids have nothing to nibble on but its lining, which increases nausea during pregnancy. Plus, smaller meals are easier to digest — and less likely to trigger the queasies (or to overflow via vomiting).
  • Eat in bed. Stock up your nightstand with trail mix, crackers, and cold cereal — and raid it last thing at night (so that your tummy won't be completely empty when you wake) and first thing in the morning (to stop those queasies before they start). You can even have a little nocturnal nibble if (or rather, when) you wake up in the middle of the night to pee. Focus on fluids — which are always more important than solids in the short term (particularly if you've been vomiting). They may also be easier to get down (and keep down) than solids — so try drinking your nutrients in soup, shakes, and smoothies.
  • Try foods with ginger (shown in more than one scientific study to reduce nausea and vomiting in pregnancy), such as ginger snaps, real ginger ale, ginger tea, ginger candies, or ginger drinks.
  • Go for the old standby, saltines, if nothing else seems to satisfy the nausea in you.
  • Take your prenatal vitamin in the evenings, and make sure it's iron-free, at least until the morning sickness during pregnancy passes. Take it with a meal and consider a coated or chewable one which may agree with your stomach more. Ask your practitioner about taking vitamin B6, which is linked to stress reduction and nausea relief. If you're really not feeling well, you can consult with your doctor about taking pregnancy-safe nausea medication which was approved by the FDA in 2013. However, the same drug was pulled off the market 30 years previous, and while studies have since found the main side effect is simply drowsiness, this is still something to be aware of as you talk over your options with your practitioner.
  • Try acupressure (including seasickness or Relief bands), which has been shown to lessen nausea during pregnancy.
  • Try any of the classic stress-reduction techniques, like meditation or prenatal yoga. Or explore acupuncture, which also has been shown to reduce nausea in some women.
destiny10282
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 12:18 AM
Ramen noodles come up easily. Sorry that's gross but with my 2nd I threw up the first 16 wks I was pregnant. I quit trying not to and just ate foods that came up easily.
EmilyD83
by Silver Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 12:19 AM
I never had morning sickness (aka all day sickness), but when I was pregnant I read to eat some saltine crackers and drink ginger ale before you even get out of bed in the morning if you are feeling nauseous.
dawnnamarie
by Ruby Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 12:19 AM
If you're ok with prescriptions, Talk to your doctor and they may be able to give you phenerqan.

That was my lifesaver while I was pregnant. But I have migraines, and that was all that would help with my extreme nausea.
mom2gmp2
by Gold Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 12:20 AM
I was the same way with my second. The only thing that helped me was SeaBand accupressure bracelets. $12 at the drugstore. They are for sea sickness. You wear them at a certain point on your wrist and the nausea stops within five minutes. No drugs involved. Good luck.
NotTheirMom99
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 12:22 AM
Zofran- saved my sanity!!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN