Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions
We have been getting heavy rains almost nonstop for a week. Heavy flooding because of it. The latest count was 7 confirmed dead 658 missing! Please keep this bumped and pray for the family's affected by this. Thanks.
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 12:19 AM
Replies (111-119):
kaysha
by Ruby Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 1:54 PM
Just the livestock. As far as I've been told. i really don't know much. They are staying with family in kersey.

Quoting bannannagirl:

:( Sorry for them. Where they able to get anything out before they left?

Quoting kaysha:

I dont know for sure, as I cannot get ahold of them. I know they are safe and that's all I know. Their homes are completly gone.

Quoting bannannagirl:

So sorry for your family. Do they need anything?

Quoting kaysha:

Im in Wyoming, but lived in Colorado most of my life. My family is there. I have been in nonstop tears. I have family who are now homeless.

bannannagirl
by Silver Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 2:31 PM
Me too! :)

Quoting arpazia:

Yes

We live in Colorado Springs.

Quoting bannannagirl:

Do you live in Colorado?

Quoting arpazia:

It's so awful and those poor poor people:( I'm just lucky it hasn't flooded in this area:( should be some sun coming though

heydooney
by Silver Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 3:11 PM
Thornton here, we are kind of up on a hill so the worst we got was a puddle in our back yard. I have seen some pretty awful stuff though, and that's just where the roads are open already. There is so much worse. Pretty sad.
heydooney
by Silver Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 3:16 PM
From what I heard, this was all made worse by the fires last year because on the burn scars, there's nothing to hold the water, like plants, so it all just goes downhill.

Quoting bannannagirl:

Yeah if its not fires its flooding :(

Quoting thetrollcat:

well I think in my town we will be fine some people will be financially struggling we are in no way suffering nearly as bad as CO... I do hope that this country helps those people rebuild.... That is just awful considering no one would have ever expected or even imagine this would happen.

So many people their lives are just gone... washed away.. Nothing to even start with....

Quoting babydsmommy18:

From what I heard FEMA will be helping people who didn't have flood insurance rebuild. They are also saying some areas won't be about to rebuild because the ground is to soft and it won't be safe.

Quoting thetrollcat:

out of curiousity how many had flood insurance? I bet not many... We had the same issue here in Montana, had massive rain in short period of time (who knew so much damn rain could fall in such a small period of time!) and most people are struggling up there from home damage and insurance wont cover it because they didnt have flood insurance. We have never ever had rain like this before.. At least not in my adult years.

Quoting OrangeBalloon:

Me too. I think that they probably got it the worst. It is just very surreal to me since we were JUST up there visiting with my mom. We drove through that beautiful little town on our way to Estes Park, all happy and atwitter. Now to see the pictures up there..........speechless. 

Quoting bannannagirl:

My heart goes out to the people of Lyons!

Quoting OrangeBalloon:

I'm in Longmont. It is really really bad here. I'm lucky that my home is on higher ground. The poor town of Lyons has been wiped off of the map. I have a friend struggling with her home in Estes Park. It is just so sad. Many of the folks from Lyons have been evacuated here to Longmont. I've been in touch with a lot of church groups to try and help. 

arpazia
by Platinum Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 4:29 PM
Nice to " meet" someone from the area:)

Some people can't catch a break, fires and floods:(

Quoting bannannagirl:

Me too! :)

Quoting arpazia:

Yes

We live in Colorado Springs.

Quoting bannannagirl:

Do you live in Colorado?

Quoting arpazia:

It's so awful and those poor poor people:( I'm just lucky it hasn't flooded in this area:( should be some sun coming though

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jambo4
by Silver Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 4:32 PM
Quoting OrangeBalloon:

I'm in Longmont. It is really really bad here. I'm lucky that my home is on higher ground. The poor town of Lyons has been wiped off of the map. I have a friend struggling with her home in Estes Park. It is just so sad. Many of the folks from Lyons have been evacuated here to Longmont. I've been in touch with a lot of church groups to try and help. 

I've been impressed with the outpouring of support. When we evacuated to the Life Bridge church I saw they weren't accepting any more donations at that time because of the response. People had left messages, opening up their homes to total strangers. We are one of the lucky Lyons folk. We didn't get any damage to our home and had a place to stay. We aren't in state anymore, and don't know when we will have a more permanent housing situation but soon we'll be able to go back in and get things we might have forgot or will need when the weather turns cold.
Jambo4
by Silver Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 4:44 PM
Well that canyon is so tight that I'm sure the water tore out anything as it barreled down it. Right now, and until it snows, trail ridge road is the only road access. It's also the highest continuously paved road in USA so it is only open May through Sept/Oct. I am sure they will try harder to keep it clear this winter.
Quoting bannannagirl:

Wow I knew it was bad I just didn't realize it was that bad. :(

Quoting wooly:

The estimate is they need to rebuild on the side of a mountain for 17 miles. That's the estimate so far and they don't know yet how much of the road lost it's foundation even tho it looks good from the air.

Quoting bannannagirl:

Wow? A year? Seems too extreme.

Quoting wooly:

I'm in Estes Park. This is a Nightmare. They're telling us it'll be at least a year before we can go down Hwy 34.

Quoting babydsmommy18:

Where you located? I'm in Fort Collins, it's devastation all around me...

OrangeBalloon
by Platinum Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 7:20 PM
1 mom liked this
I am very glad that you and your home are okay. I offered to let some friends stay with us. I also talked to my landlord about an empty unit in our complex. He agreed to let a family use it at a discounted rate. :)

Quoting Jambo4:

Quoting OrangeBalloon:

I've been impressed with the outpouring of support. When we evacuated to the Life Bridge church I saw they weren't accepting any more donations at that time because of the response. People had left messages, opening up their homes to total strangers. We are one of the lucky Lyons folk. We didn't get any damage to our home and had a place to stay. We aren't in state anymore, and don't know when we will have a more permanent housing situation but soon we'll be able to go back in and get things we might have forgot or will need when the weather turns cold.
jordynsmom08
by Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Quoting MomOf3AngelBabe:

We are in Colorado. It has been AWFUL!! :( 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)