Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Better job = paying more child support ?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 109 Replies

My oldest dd is from my ex. I am married now with 3 other kids from my husband. When my ex and I split up I took him to court for child support . At the time( about 10 years ago) he only made 7-8 $ per hour and lived here in FL and took her every other weekend and one month during summer... 

For the past 3 years he has lived out of state and only sees her 2 weeks out of the year. He now has a better. Job making about $25 per hour. He travels to different countries and has chefs make his meals... I still only receive $340 per month for child support. My friends and family all say I should take him back to court and have the child support redone. I just don't know tho cuz it kinda seems like a bitchy thing to do??!! 

Also he has NEVER givin any extra money for her even when I asked. Once she got a pair of glasses then lost them , insurance wouldn't pay for a replacement so the total cost was $160. I asked him to go in half with me and he refused. I had to borrow $45 from my MIL to afford them.

what are your thoughts??

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 17, 2013 at 12:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 17, 2013 at 12:30 AM
2 moms liked this
Def take him back to court.
briansmommy2010
by Ruby Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 12:32 AM
3 moms liked this
Take him back to court. Think of it this way. If you were together, that large increase in his income would be benefiting your child. So why should it not since you're split up?
bluebunnybabe
by Ruby Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 12:33 AM
Take him back to court.
quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 12:34 AM
4 moms liked this
Do it. You can be sure he'd try to lower it if it were a reverse situation.
liltampa71
by Platinum Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 12:36 AM

It should be reviewed every 2 years anyway.  I would take him, a lot has changed.  It is money for your child, not you, so if it would help her....

Maybe tell him you think it is time for a review first, so it doesn't come across as underhanded, but SHE is entitled to the support.

wymama610
by Gold Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 12:37 AM
1 mom liked this
Do you really need more? Is it because you have too many kids to support, or do you really need it only for your daughter? What would be the real motivation?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 17, 2013 at 12:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Eh... I'm going to take a different stand than the previous replies.

I don't agree with child support to begin with. With that said...why not ask your ex to give up his rights and have your own DH adopt your oldest as his own? It sounds like you and your current DH are doing well and you don't need your ex's child support anyway.

Just a thought. It sounds like your ex really doen't want anything to do with you or your children.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 17, 2013 at 12:40 AM

I love this idea! But he is soooo stingy with money . When my dd went with him for the weekend years ago he had bought her a few things and made it a point to say " this is for you only. Make sure you don't share with your sisters"

Quoting liltampa71:

It should be reviewed every 2 years anyway.  I would take him, a lot has changed.  It is money for your child, not you, so if it would help her....

Maybe tell him you think it is time for a review first, so it doesn't come across as underhanded, but SHE is entitled to the support.

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Sep. 17, 2013 at 12:41 AM

You are entitled to a review. It's your call.

liltampa71
by Platinum Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 12:42 AM
1 mom liked this

That's why you don't present it as an option, more of a heads up!  Good luck.

Quoting Anonymous:

I love this idea! But he is soooo stingy with money . When my dd went with him for the weekend years ago he had bought her a few things and made it a point to say " this is for you only. Make sure you don't share with your sisters"

Quoting liltampa71:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN